44S977-0032-G1 27HP throttle quits working after engine gets hot.

Icreery

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 44S977-0032-G1 27HP throttle quits working after engine gets hot.
So I have a 48" snapper with a Briggs 27hp model 44S977-0032-G1. Mower starts up great every time and throttle works perfectly after startup. My problem is once engine gets hot and I have cut for a bit if I disable PTO the engine starts to rev high and the throttle adjustments no longer work. If i engage the blades again and the engine is under load the revs come down but it still wont allow me to adjust the throttle. Once engine cools off everything goes back to normal and throttle works fine again. Just to give an some idea of what I have done recently was replace the rings and jets in the carb. As well as make sure the governor arm was adjusted all the way to the right. Any advice would be awesome.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / 44S977-0032-G1 27HP throttle quits working after engine gets hot.
Sounds like the carburetor is mal-adjusted.

This uses governed idle speed setup. It must tune to 1200 rpm with the throttle held closed. Once set then the governed idle must be set to 1750 rpm. Otherwise engine will race at times when even throttle is lower to idle the engine as itself cant the throttle plate enough to slow the engine.

BTW you must use a tach to do this in order to get the speeds right.

From service manual>
1652814597236.png