Export thread

28 yr old Honda HR215, do the new ones mulch better???

J

Jeff T

Yes my Honda is a bit on the old side, but it served as the trim mower for 23 years when i had a larger property and a Deere. We recently moved to a smaller place, Deere is gone, and the Honda gets regular duty again. Anyway, I have to assume the new models mulch much better. It's the only thing that disappoints about the old Honda. Anyone moved from an older unit like mine to a HRX?? Comments???

J

jsalis57

I have a 214sx and a 215sx and from a mulching perspective they are similar with the exception of the 215 has a bit more power. I can compare these directly to the newer model 217 HRX which I also have, and I do think they mulch better, but not significantly so. I think the biggest advantage is the plastic deck which resists the grass buildup and sticking.
I still prefer the old machines build quality.

J

Jeff T

I cut mine yesterday and I was leaving behind pieces that were 1" or longer, you could definitely see them in the lawn. Blades are sharp and all that.

I did try a Toro Super Recycler with the Personal Pace system from a neighbor. While I do believe it mulched finer, I did not care for the PP system. 28 years of Honda might have some influence on that!

D

dfbrown

Hi, to answer your question. Yes the 2004 on to 2020 Honda hrx217s mulch and cut way better then the old hr214,215 & 216. Way better mulch designed deck and the dual blades cut grass pieces way smaller. Yes the old hr214 215 216 you were able to buy the mulch plug and 2 blade kit but still doesn’t mulch for much of anything. Those old mowers were true high lift blade/ deck baggers and side discharge machines. 2 blades hurt those old mowers a little bit too due to lower hp.

the old Honda’s were built better sure like the gxv engines. Driveshaft and aluminum decks.

having said that. The new stuff is a better mulcher and discharge from the rear. Equal on bagging probably but new ones pack it better because it cuts finer. Bigger wheels rides over stuff better. Better quality wheels, deck never corrodes or cracks a touch lighter mower way better on fuel. More powerful. Just a way more efficient mower the hrx217.

if you want hr214 215 quality or better then that’s the current hrc216k3hxa. Best built 21” mower honda has ever made.

J

Jeff T

Yes the old hr214 215 216 you were able to buy the mulch plug and 2 blade kit but still doesn’t mulch for much of anything.

Interesting, I bought the mulch kit with our mower in 1992 and it was only one blade.

Attachments

• Honda Mulch Kit HR215.pdf
    771.9 KB · Views: 19

T

tranchinh

You got same power as new HRX217 .With the mulching kit you have a mulching blade mount on top of the high lift blade and with mulch plug .Your grass clip as fine as the new HRX217 mower . Not as fine Compare to the Toro recycler

J

Jeff T

So, are you suggesting I mount the HRX blade system on my HR215?

T

tranchinh

You need all 3 Items below to get it mulching good 1-https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-HR214-HR215-ALUMINUM-CHASSIS-MULCH-PLUG-MULCHING-PLUG-76266-VA3-J60/193438059531?hash=item2d09ce8c0b:g:qjgAAOSwQJ1em0SI 2-https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-HR214-HR215-Mower-Mulching-Spacer-Plate-Mounting-Hardware-72532-VA3-S00/133095568749?epid=1417910506&hash=item1efd1d356d:g:nn8AAOSwfONbybo4 3-https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Honda-Mulching-Blade-72531-VA3-S00-HR215K1-HRC215K1-HRC216K1-Lawn-Mower/332523724828?epid=19013672648&hash=item4d6bf5601c:g:EkcAAOSwkNpaX3Dr

J

Jeff T

TY! Already have the plug! The original mulch kit came with the plug and a mulch blade to swap. Ordered the upper blade and mounting kit.

T

tranchinh

That's good,here is how you mount the blades,also use longer bolt ( 35 mm ) and heavy washers

Attachments

R

Romore

I tried mulching with my old HR214, wasn't particularly impressed with the results but that thing was a bagging fool! The catcher was packed solid and no clippings left behind. I have also tried the Toro Super Recycler, great mulcher under the right conditions but marginal bagger. In my experience no one machine does both well.

T

tranchinh

That's good,here is how you mount the blades,also use longer bolt ( 35 mm ) and heavy washers
I'm sorry the bolts shoud be 40 mm long

J

Jeff T

OK, all the parts arrived, installed on mower. Cut the grass today and it definitely was a much finer mulch. IMHO, the 140 cc engine on my HR 215 is just not strong enough for teh additional weight of a second blade and the additional clippings its chopping into a finer mulch. Thanks for all the help, I will be looking for a slightly used HRX.

T

tranchinh

Sorry to hear that

H

HarmonySeeker

OK, all the parts arrived, installed on mower. Cut the grass today and it definitely was a much finer mulch. IMHO, the 140 cc engine on my HR 215 is just not strong enough for teh additional weight of a second blade and the additional clippings its chopping into a finer mulch. Thanks for all the help, I will be looking for a slightly used HRX.
That's too bad.
What would you be asking for that worthless mulcher?

H

HarmonySeeker

Yes the old hr214 215 216 you were able to buy the mulch plug and 2 blade kit but still doesn’t mulch for much of anything.

Interesting, I bought the mulch kit with our mower in 1992 and it was only one blade.
I'm having a hard time telling by the drawing: Do the upper blade 'wings' sit up and away from the lower or are the wings flipped so they ride nearly on top of the lowers?

J

Jeff T

I'm having a hard time telling by the drawing: Do the upper blade 'wings' sit up and away from the lower or are the wings flipped so they ride nearly on top of the lowers?
The wings ride up near the top of the deck.

H

HarmonySeeker

The wings ride up near the top of the deck.
No kidding. Thanks for the info. Well, then, my mower mulches quite well, considering the blades are on backward!
Anyway, I can haul that under-powered HR215 away for you. No sense cluttering up your yard.
What time would be convenient?

J

Jeff T

Nice try! That underpowered old slug isn't going anywhere!

H

HarmonySeeker

Then we have a saying 'round these here parts:

'kwitcherbitchin'

The faithful BS Troy-Bilt is going to family.
The Honda stays in my garage. I paid too much to fix it, so it won't sell.
And I think I may sell the Honda-powered Cub Cadet SRC 216(?) after I get the sheared bolt out of the crankshaft, and the blade re-attached, and address the hard pull-back problem.....
But otherwise, it's a great mower! Great!
I'm currently cutting my lawn with a 1970 Sears 3.5 Electric lawn mower I found by a dumpster until I eventually run over the cord.
Then I'll cuss and throw it away like everyone else has!

J

Jeff T

Well, the story continues.

I ended up finding a 4 year old HRX217 w/electric start and bag from a couple moving from IL to FL. A whopping $200. What an amazing machine.

The old HR215 went to a friends son who bought his first house!

H

HarmonySeeker

I'm just about fed up with the uneven cut my 215 has developed. It leaves a line of grass uncut on every pass. A thin line, not very wide at all, but it's obvious as all get out.
I'm going to rebuild a cub cadet now and see how it does.
I'm guessing it has something to do with the engineering of that double blade arrangement.
So after all, fairly unhappy with that Honda.

D

dfbrown

I'm just about fed up with the uneven cut my 215 has developed. It leaves a line of grass uncut on every pass. A thin line, not very wide at all, but it's obvious as all get out.
I'm going to rebuild a cub cadet now and see how it does.
I'm guessing it has something to do with the engineering of that double blade arrangement.
So after all, fairly unhappy with that Honda.
Put new blade on it. Sharpen them to 30degree and the line will go away. OR If your mulching and taking too much grass off in one shot and or going too fast it can leave a mow hawk. That's all it can be. Not a honda problem or any other mower problem. Clean deck sharp blades and balanced. Nice pace and dry grass taking off a reasonable amount it should cut perfectly.

H

HarmonySeeker

If I put a new Honda blade on it, should I have to sharpen it, as well? Mind you, I have kept my blade sharp. By hand, with a file.
I mow in first gear. I went out of my way today to assure I was only taking 1/3 off at the most and the grass was dry.
And the blade appears to be in good shape, using the manual that came with the unit as a guide.
That's why I'm so disappointed.
Thanks for the idea, But it seems to me like spending good money after bad, having to replace the blade clutch, a new blade bearing and a mulch plug already.
It's already cost a lot of 'bad' money to get this far.

D

dfbrown

If I put a new Honda blade on it, should I have to sharpen it, as well? Mind you, I have kept my blade sharp. By hand, with a file.
I mow in first gear. I went out of my way today to assure I was only taking 1/3 off at the most and the grass was dry.
And the blade appears to be in good shape, using the manual that came with the unit as a guide.
That's why I'm so disappointed.
Thanks for the idea, But it seems to me like spending good money after bad, having to replace the blade clutch, a new blade bearing and a mulch plug already.
It's already cost a lot of 'bad' money to get this far.
I personally put a fresh edge on a brand new blade and I check balance and run out anyways. Honda own blades are really really good about that.

Ok mowing in 1st gear Ian obviously slow and blades are sharp. Double check the very edge of the blade is sharp ans not rounded at all. That can leave mowhawks. One thing I forgot to mention Is to check the mowers rpm. If it's low or barely on spec it can make a difference. Not because of hp but because of blade tip speed. A hr215 is typically 3100 + or - 150. So double check they are 3250rpm with blades spinning. Make sure grass is dry and your doing 1/3 rule. Unless your cutting super low and deck is clean it should cut awsome. I have had a ton of hondas over the years and hr215s we're awsome. If you really mulching with the plug and dual blade option there just ok at mulching. Not spectacular but just ok. More of a professional nagger or side discharge. Mowhawks even happen on my hrx217hya with clean deck and cutting at 3". I noticed ifnim trying to take too much offnto mulch for a customers yard it leaves a mowhawk at that point inrear discharge and then fan it with my backpack blower. My personal yard never a issued because I cut every 4 days in Pennsylvania. Hope this helps. Which hr215 do you have?

H

HarmonySeeker

mzbb-6091227 sxa
As far as speed goes, I do have a tach and I'll check rpm.
I run the throttle IN the detent between the choke and fast positions to maximize speed. It doesn't seem to make a difference.
I note that the manual does not mention a throttle adjustment, as I've seen it. The adjustment they do document is the choke.
So I presumed that if the choke was sitting right, that took care of everything else.
I am cutting 1 notch from maximum height. I cut that same lawn 2 notches from the highest last week and it didn't grow excessively in between.
So not too high.
I cut at 2:30 in the afternoon, so not wet at all.
And as you indicate, it is not a big mohawk, just as you say, if you brush the lawn with your foot, the mohawk just shows up.
But it looks like hell the next morning.
I see you recommend a sharp blade edge, as opposed to many who say, a non-sharp edge.
I have to come down in the middle here: I sharpen to a sharp edge with a hand file, and as the other side notes, it's dull shortly thereafter.
And yes, mowing in 1st gear is a SLOW process.
But having to go over areas twice?
Even longer.
Again, thanks for your words. I will verify engine speed, but my manual shows no way to adjust engine speed.