23HP Kohler oil leaks on 2000 Toro Z Master

mikec35

Threads
A friend of mine has a substantial oil leak, We see it dripping off the lower starter bolt about every 45 seconds one drip. He cuts a residential lawn that takes about 5 hours a week, he is using about 8oz oil per cut. The motor had so much oil all over it that it was difficult to really see if there were other areas leaking. I told him to gunk the motor and pressure wash it clean then we could better assess where the leak is originating from. Do these motors have any know oil leaks that we should check. We took the breather off and it didn't appear any leaks were coming from the top of the motor. I'm kinda leaning towards the front seal behind the flywheel, but am not totally sure. Any tips/advice? Thank you

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or expert staff will want engine numbers to ID your engine.

slomo

mikec35

Threads
Thanks, the sticker is worn pretty bad, looks like a CH23S 76513.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would advise you to go with your gut feeling and start with a good pressure wash and drying. Then I would raid the wife’s pantry for a cup of flour. Sprinkle flour all over the areas where you feel the leak may be originating from and run the engine. The flour will show you a track from where the oil is coming from. At times I even remove the shroud, but don’t run the engine for more than 10 minutes. Yes, when done you need to wash the engine again.