Repairs 2166 not starting when cold, fuel problem

kfxnow

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a new to me 2004 2166 I bought last month. I'm a shadetree mechanic, so when I bought it, it only ran with the choke half way out. Pulled the carb, cleaned it and no more problem. What I do have now (don't think it is related to the clean carb) is that when the tractor sits for a week, which is typical, it will not start. I pulled the fuel at the carb and nothing for about 20 cranks and then the fuel came out. Put the fuel line back on and no problems at all. Shut it down during the lawn mowing and start with no problem. Next week, same issue. So I replaced the fuel pump, thinking that perhaps it had an air leak in it and it couldn't pump up the fuel from the tank or something. No change. Same symptoms. I did not, however, replace the diaphram, only the mechanical/plastic parts.

Any ideas?

TIA

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
https://www.cubcadetpartsnmore.com/cub-cadet-service-manuals

See if manual can help you out, let us know how it goes. I know the years don't match up but give it a try. Have you replaced fuel filter? I use 93 octane fresh gas & quality brand fuel treatment [per instructions on bottle] in all outdoor power equipment.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check to see if the choke is fully closing. Telling us the engine brand and numbers would probably help you out.

kfxnow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: 2186 not starting when cold, fuel problem

I was just out in my shed today. Sorry, it's a 2186 with a Kohler Command 20.

I pulled the fuel line again and cranked it over to see if anything came out of the fuel pump. Not a drop. Started it with starting fluid and still nothing. I sucked on the fuel line to ensure no obstructions, change the fuel filter...nothing. So at this point, I think the fuel pump gave up the ghost. I removed it, manually pumped it and I get vacuum on one side and blowing on the other. I don't know how much is standard spec. Any other ideas outside of replacing the entire fuel pump, including diaphram?

kfxnow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tip. I also think its a faulty fuel pump. But I do like that service manual. How do I find one for a ch20s?

kfxnow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks much!!