21" Hi-Vac SP won't roll backwards

Frank Woodbery

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an '80s vintage 21" Snapper hi-vac that I've retrofitted with a Kawasaki FJ180V several years ago, swapped out the deck, went to steel wheels and many other parts. It has worked great and I'm very pleased with it. But recently it developed a problem where the mower won't roll backwards with the clutch disengaged. The rear wheels just lock up intermittently and it's a major PITA. It will self-propel forward normally 100% of the time, so it doesn't seem to be related to the drive belts, drive disk or the rubber drive "donut". I add the right lubricant to the transmission as needed.

Before going to the hassle of swapping out the transmission/axle assembly - is there something else I should consider looking into? There must be a simple test or symptom I can check to identify the cause of this problem. I don't hear any unusual noises coming anywhere. I don't mind replacing the transmission and axle if it requires that, but I want to be sure I'm fixing the right thing.

Any help would be appreciated!.

Thanks, Frank in Vancouver

wingless

Threads
Welcome to the forum.

Does the transmission have a proper amount of 00 grease? It should have enough to show pumping over the gears when the machine is manually pushed.

Frank Woodbery

Forum Newbie
Threads
I fixed it, pretty simple. It was not the transmission itself. The bracket holding the pulley that is attached to the transmission had become loose so the drive belt was becoming intermittently tight with that bracket being loose and moving around. After removing the right drive wheel I could tighten things up and it seems to work perfectly now.

I will eventually need to open up the transmission and replace one of those attachment bolts that for some reason can't be tightened now. I would replace the original transmission seals and gasket then. Maybe a winter project!

Frank

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Make sure you use a 00 grade grease inside the transmission. Tractor Supply has it for like 5 bucks a quart.

slomo