20hp Kohler on Allis tractor will not achieve full RPMs with PTO engaged

bshisler

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 20hp Kohler on Allis tractor will not achieve full RPMs with PTO engaged
I have an Agco-Allis garden tractor with a 20hp Kohler motor. At the end of the season last year, one of the rocker arms came loose and went through the valve cover. I fixed this issue, and put everything back together- the engine would not start. It was backfiring and carrying on, and occasionally would get close to starting. It seemed to me like a timing issue, so I checked for spark on both cylinders and everything seemed to be fine. Long story short: I pulled the motor and found that the keyway on the flywheel had sheared off and spun about 1/4"- essentially throwing the motor out of time. I replaced the keyway, reassembled and reinstalled the motor, and it ran fine. I also replaced the fuel lines and fuel filter, mainly because the fuel line to the crank case was nearly worn through. After mowing with it a few times now, it suddenly lost power whenever I have the PTO engaged. It seems to idle ok, and achieves full RPMs under no load- just not when the PTO is engaged. It will run the deck without stalling, but will not achieve full RPMs. If I watch the fuel filter, I can literally watch it be sucked dry of fuel regardless of engine speed. I thought that the fuel pump could be the culprit, so I replaced it today with no noticeable improvement. My thoughts were governor or head gasket. I believe that the fuel pump is driven off of crankcase vacuum which could be affected by a blown head gasket, right?? This would explain the shortage of fuel and lack of power to the motor. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as I hate to spend unnecessary time/money trying to diagnose this issue.

maaaarcus

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 20hp Kohler on Allis tractor will not achieve full RPMs with PTO engaged
What caused the flywheel to spin a quarter turn?? Rocker arm blew off, valve closed, crank was made to stop quickly, heavy flywheel didn't? I think if you solve that mystery, you'll find what is causing your current problem.
Sounds like you might be on the right track though. Whatever caused your flywheel to spin an additional 1/4 turn also most likely caused you to blow a head gasket thus not creating proper crankcase pressure to operated fuel pump.
Compression check? You crankcase vent back into the carb would probably be abnormal as well.

Last edited: