20381 Toro Super Recycler (2012) Update

rajon

Threads
I bought a 20381 Toro Super Recycler (2012) at the end of April and have just made my 11th cut with it.

I am still EXTREMELY pleased. The only problem thus far was my fault but the dealer fixed it under warranty.

Per the manual I was to change the oil at 5 hours, I changed it at 8. It takes me around 1.5 hours to cut my lawn (~1/2 acre) while walking approximately 3.5 miles so after 10 cuts I was nearly at 20 hours so I changed the blade (The dealer included an extra)

It has yet to require a second pull to start.

The personal pace system works flawlessly. It renders the 90lbs mower light as a feather. It is an absolutely brilliant concept and will mow at a light jog if you are so inclined. My record so far is all 17,000 sq-ft in 58 minutes.

It takes a little less than one tank to mow for 2 hours.

The washout port makes cleaning a breeze and as a consequence since I already have the hose out I wash the mower every time I cut. The washout port is not perfect, scraping is still required but it helps a lot.

8 hour oil change resulted in pretty clean oil. Still translucent and very little, if any, visible particulate.

Last cut was through 18 days growth. Very little rain so I was only cutting an inch off most of the lawn. Mulched perfectly. No clumps, very little discharged clippings ended up on the driveway.

In all, after 2 months, I still look forward to my 2 hours of peace mowing the lawn.

talley2191

Threads
Good news. They are awesome as far as I'm concerned. My 2004 still starts on the first pull and I use to mow 3/4 acres with it until a few years ago.

Moldyoldie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Let me throw some cold water on this...sorry. Like Rajon, I, too, purchased the 20381 at the end of April, following the manual to the letter, and have been very pleased with the results...until this last mowing late Saturday afternoon.

The mower wouldn't start. Gas began spewing out of the air filter compartment and wouldn't stop until the tank was nearly empty, even after gently jiggling the carburetor linkages which seemed to move freely. I immediately called the dealer and they said to bring it in as soon as possible.

I took it in early Monday morning and followed up with a call Tuesday morning when they said they haven't looked at it yet and will call with an update - I can understand a possible backlog. It's now Thursday morning -- still no call from them. They are a very reputable long-standing local family-owned business. Will update this as developments occur.

I'm certainly glad I kept my somewhat dilapidated old Yard-man -- at least the lawn is mowed.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The problem will probably be a bad float needle and seat. I recommend using a non-ethanol fuel to eliminate this problem. All engine manufacturers are having this same problem.

possum

Threads
I guess we will soon begin to know just how well the parts are distributed for these new Choro engines.

Moldyoldie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I guess we will soon begin to know just how well the parts are distributed for these new Choro engines.

Called dealer today (Friday) for an update; they were waiting for a new carburetor which just arrived. They said the mower should be ready Monday; i.e., it means the mower would be a week in the shop.

Rivets said:
The problem will probably be a bad float needle and seat. I recommend using a non-ethanol fuel to eliminate this problem. All engine manufacturers are having this same problem.
FWIW, I use regular unleaded 87 octane, non-ethanol as far as I know.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only a week thats not bad going.
At the moment im at 3 week turnaround.
If someone does buy a mower off me they do get priority but sometimes it gets busy.

possum

Threads
A week around here even without a drought would be no problem. Three weeks in May or June would be a real problem. The lawn would be so grown up you would have a very hard time getting over it. If the lawn needed mowed already and another week was added for repair it would still be a problem. I keep more than one around at my age, I have had all the fighting to get an overgrown yard mowed I want.