2019 ZT Elite PTO in and runs great then bogs down

krackerjack9

Threads
Ok this just started happening, 2019 AT eilite runs fine then a few weeks ago it runs then engage PTO it runs good then it bogs down i say about 1000rpm stays like that for about 8 seconds then goes back to full power for about 15 seconds then bogs back down again does this over andover, airfilter good, spindles are all good, with PTO not engaged i can run it full power no problems , not sure what could be causing this thanks

krackerjack9

Threads
It has the Kawasaki FR730V engine,I had a 2013 ZT with the Kolher engine it by far was way better built mower than 2019 I wish i never never sold it, the 2019 i guess they have them made in China now there is no comparisson. But i dont know what is causing my issue with the 2019 ZT I checked linkaged, its just odd that its like down to the second it bogs down then run fine for 15 seconds and then bogs down again for 8 seconds

krackerjack9

Threads
I was hoping someone would have came across this, the bad boy dealer here wants a fortune just to look at.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could be a case of intermittent lose of spark on one cylinder. This is were the blink style spark testers come in handy. Pop one on each plug wire and go mow. When it bogs down make sure both are still blinking.

krackerjack9

Threads
they would due this at specific times when the PTO engaged but not due it when pto is isnt??

Bertrrr

Threads
Hard to imagine the PTO would have anything to do with it but guess anything is possible. As mentioned above, there could be a voltage problem present all the time but un noticable while not under load. You may pull the plugs and see if they're both burning clean ( white looking ) if one is more carboned up than the other, install a new one there or look at that coil. I ran across a similar problem where the machine was actually only running on one cylinder but still ran somewhat decent- Never noticed anything other than a slight strain when pto was engaged, had to rev it up big time to keep it going. The one coil working finally gave out so ended up swapping both out and problem went away .

krackerjack9

Threads
Ok have checked the coils their good, spark plugs look great, took carb off cleaned it cant find anything wrong with it, fuel lines are free flowing, i have one of those blink spark things and hooked it up ran it everything checks out, have it running full power it runs perfect but as soon as i pull on the PTO it runs for 14 seconds then it bogs down for 9 seconds then goes back up to full power for 14 seconds then bogs down for 9 seconds, rpm full power is 3450 and when it bogs down its 2600-2750 rpm, to take it in they want $350 to diagnose it , is there something in the PTO that could be the issue??? I really dont want to spend the $$$$ for that and what ever it is,,,, has to be something simple that is staring at me but i cant figure it out...

krackerjack9

Threads
been told their 16 days out if i dropped it off today. I even had it running pulled a spark plug wire off and slowed down about 200 rpm then put back on pulled other spark plug wire same thing, was thinking out of the box would that only big relay might have a issue with it??

krackerjack9

Threads
Ok finally got the repair guy from the bad boy dealership call me and ends up he lives not to far from me. So I drive over to his house and explain every thing i have done to figure this out. In short he was as stumped as I was. But he said the has 27 machines at the shop right now on the floor waiting for repairs. He a few years older than me but he said after 2018 the quailty of engines from all brands just went down hill. Before if you did decent oil and filter changes 500 to 700hrs was pretty easy to get before he see a machine come in with a no start or running rough issues. Now its 75hrs or less. The gaskets he said all changed to something so thin has no idea how they get it to seat right, Carb bowls are so small and so thin clearences are so tight that a single dog hair can stop a float bowl from sealing correctly. So looks like im going to take it in and let it sit with the other BB mowers to figure out this mystery of 14 seconds and 8 seconds.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Ok finally got the repair guy from the bad boy dealership call me and ends up he lives not to far from me. So I drive over to his house and explain every thing i have done to figure this out. In short he was as stumped as I was. But he said the has 27 machines at the shop right now on the floor waiting for repairs. He a few years older than me but he said after 2018 the quailty of engines from all brands just went down hill. Before if you did decent oil and filter changes 500 to 700hrs was pretty easy to get before he see a machine come in with a no start or running rough issues. Now its 75hrs or less. The gaskets he said all changed to something so thin has no idea how they get it to seat right, Carb bowls are so small and so thin clearences are so tight that a single dog hair can stop a float bowl from sealing correctly. So looks like im going to take it in and let it sit with the other BB mowers to figure out this mystery of 14 seconds and 8 seconds.
The Bad Boy representative is making some rather broad across the board statements. So before 2018 small engines were doing just fine, then after 2018 everything suddenly went downhill? Ask him about Bad Boy zero turn mowers reputation and quality 15 years ago. Bad Boy used to be a POS and is now a competitive zero turn with a lower price.