Export thread

2013 Simplicity Regent Lawn Tractor No Crank

S

stcif

Hello everyone. Last September I bought a used Simplicty Regent, 38" deck, 20 HP Professional Series Briggs motor. Model is 2691131-00. Minimal usage. Seller pays for lawn care.

I only mowed a few times with it last fall and had a couple situations where it wouldn't crank then after several attempts it would crank over and start. I figured seat switch or brake safety switch was acting up.

Now that I am getting it out for this years use I again have a no crank situation. I bought a new battery, still no crank.

I have started testing procedures on various parts after watching a bunch of youtube videos.

There is no power going to the starter when I have someone sit on the mower with brake depressed and key to start position.

Battery at 12.6 volts.

Every safety switch plugged in and wiring appears good.

I tested the seat, brake and reverse safety switches for continuity. All tested good and seemed to test with a fairly slight push on the button. They didn't seem sloppy or worn out.

I bench tested the solenoid and per procedure tested good. (four post and ground wire to frame was solid).

I tested the ignition per test procedure and that too tested good for continuity.

I have continuity from battery negative terminal to body of starter and if I take a jumper from positive battery terminal to starter bolt the engine cranks.

With key on if I engage the PTO switch the electric clutch energizes but here is where I might have found a problem. The PTO switch has NC on the side which based on my research is a normally closed switch. If I am testing this correctly I don't get continuity between terminals no matter which position the switch is in. Could this case a no crank condition?

I bought this Simplicity to replace my 21 year old Regent which has given me few problems over the years.

Thanks for any replies or input.

NorthBama

NorthBama

the NC on the PTO switch should read open when the switch is turned on. This prevents starting with the PTO on.

S

stcif

Thanks for the reply.

Quick update. I reinstalled the antireverse switch and the pto switch. Tractor then started right up. I didnt replace any parts. Maybe a switch is going bad? I have no idea whats going on but happy it's running now.[

QUOTE=NorthBama;259324]the NC on the PTO switch should read open when the switch is turned on. This prevents starting with the PTO on.[/QUOTE]