2012 XCaliber 3374 - starting issue

crossdw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2012 XCaliber 3374 with the Generac 990 gas engine. I've been having issues with the mower not wanting to start. The battery is good and the starter is turning over, but the mower will not start. Looking for some ideas on what else to check. Here's what I've done so far:

- Battery load tests fine with no issues, outputs 16vDC. I've also tried to start using a battery jumper pack and the starter will turn over but the mower won't start.
- Starter terminals are clean and the mower will turn over, it just won't start.
- Checked stator with Ohmmeter and it tests fine (I bought a new stator thinking that may be the problem but the current one tests out the same as the new one so I haven't replaced it yet.)
- New voltage regulator. I did re-terminate the three leads because the plastic connector for the three wires (two white, one red) were not making good connection. Removed the connector and re-terminated with new spade connectors. Note - the mower DID start after making this change and I used it for about three hours. I finished mowing and then it sat for about 3 hours. When I went to start it to put it up in my storage building it would not start again, same symptoms. I did check for loose wire, but the connections were clean and tight.
- Checked all safety interlocks and all test fine.

Since the mower will turn over I'm not convinced it is an electrical problem. What else should I check? Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you have the crank and no start issue first thing is to check for spark. If you have spark then remove air filter and spray about a half second worth of starting fluid in carb and try to start. If it runs for a few seconds and dies fuel problem.
The ignition system is completely separate from the battery and charging system. Self contained magneto.

crossdw

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you have the crank and no start issue first thing is to check for spark. If you have spark then remove air filter and spray about a half second worth of starting fluid in carb and try to start. If it runs for a few seconds and dies fuel problem.
The ignition system is completely separate from the battery and charging system. Self contained magneto.
Thanks - I'll check for spark. Is the magneto you mention the same thing as the stator? What I purchased (but haven't installed yet) is called a stator and it is a ring of wire windings that is installed under the flywheel. As the flywheel rotates it generates electric current which I assume works like an alternator in a car, charging the battery and supplying various circuits. I did check the stator and it ohms out the same as the new one so I am assuming it does not need to be replaced.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is for battery charging. Had nithing to do with the spark ignition. Under the engine shroud there is magneto next to fhe flywheel. The sparkplug wire goes to it. The small wire to it is grounded to kill the engine. No need to replace the stator for a no start issue. If it ohms out good it is good.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If your carb has a fuel solenoid installed on it, I would be checking to see if that is working properly. You need 12V to open the solenoid and allow fuel to enter the engine.