2010 Saber Tooth Tiger diesel blowing main fuse

Andybull

Forum Newbie
Threads
I started having an issue with my mower about a week ago. I can run the mower a few hours, or sometimes less than that, before the fuse that’s next to the seat blows. Yesterday, after blowing a fuse I went up the hill that I was mowing, without having turned the blades on and it quit again. I did this in order to see if there was an electric issue with the clutch. Today I removed the cover where the starter switch and other electrical components are. I took all of the plugs apart, cleaned them to make sure they were making good contact and re installed them after applying dielectric grease to all of the contacts.I also removed and installed a new fuse holder for the 20+amp fuse by the seat.
Everything looked good and off To mow I went. The fuse lasted about 45 minutes or so. I replace the fuse and headed home. The fuse blew again within a few minutes.

What other component can I check? The battery is fairly new and is holding a charge.

MowLife

Threads
Don’t really sound a component issue by the way you describe. Sounds more like a short in a wire. Have you followed the path of the wire on that circuit to see if it’s chafed and grounding against metal?

Andybull

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ll take it back to my shop and look again.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is this fuse for the PTO clutch only? How many amps is it?

Andybull

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is this fuse for the PTO clutch only? How many amps is it?

It’s the starting fuse? 20 amps. Without this fuse, the gauges and ignition switch are dead. I tried a 25 amp fuse and it also blew.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't put in bigger fuses. You'll overload the wiring and damage or ruin it.

I'd guess you have a short.