2008 John Deere X540 all terrain tractor cuts out when blades engaged

koenig67

Forum Newbie
Have cleaned out the gas tank, replaced the gas filter, blew out the lines, replaced the pto clutch (the recommended solution from the local John Deere dealer who is so backed up I can't wait 4 weeks), replaced the oil, lubed everything, and still have the same problem. It seems like it isn't getting a consistent flow of gas... The John Deere dealer suggested replacing the pto clutch, which has improved the start up, but didn't solve the actual problem. Has anyone else solved a problem like this?
 
I would check the seat safety switch. Connections may be dirty or a bad switch. Does the switch have two or four connections?
 
I would check the seat safety switch. Connections may be dirty or a bad switch. Does the switch have two or four connections?

Thanks for your input. Already checked the safety switch - 2 connections - tried disconnecting it. Tractor will start with it disconnected but a few minutes after engaging the blades it shut down. Next I plan to check the fuel pump.
 
If it only shuts down with the blades engaged, I doubt it is the fuel pump. If it shuts down when the blades are engaged, in my opinion it is either a short in your safety circuit or possibly are bad battery. I would also get a new mechanic, I don't trust one that suggests replacing a clutch with the symptoms you describe.
 
If it only shuts down with the blades engaged, I doubt it is the fuel pump. If it shuts down when the blades are engaged, in my opinion it is either a short in your safety circuit or possibly are bad battery. I would also get a new mechanic, I don't trust one that suggests replacing a clutch with the symptoms you describe.

Hi - after cleaning the gas tank, blowing out the lines, replacing the pto clutch (which eliminated the chirping noise on initial start-up), checking the battery, safety switch....and on and on, we took it to the John Deere dealer, who cleaned the gunked up carburetor and that's all it took. Running fine now.
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas we got from this forum!
 
Back
Top