2006 Troy-Bil Pony Mower 17.5 B&S Motor

LaKajun

Forum Newbie
Threads
In 2006 I bought a Troy-Bil Pony Mower, after years of small issues, the valves had to be reset. That worked for a while, now I need to change the cam, the compression release is bad. The issue I have, the 17.5 B&S motor valve cover was not stamped, so I don't know the true model number on the motor. Need the model number to get the correct cam. Any ideas?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't remember when they started stamping the valve cover as opposed to a riveted tag or stamping the blower housing. There isn't a chance that the valve cover is upside down and the model number is on the bottom.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take pictures all the way around the engine. Post them up here. Can also take an oily red shop rag and wipe all around. The dirt and oil help highlight the stampings if yours has them.

slomo

LaKajun

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't remember when they started stamping the valve cover as opposed to a riveted tag or stamping the blower housing. There isn't a chance that the valve cover is upside down and the model number is on the bottom.
I have taken the cover off to reset the valves, cleaned off cover & looked.

Telesis

Threads
It is likely a 31R series (my JD D105 has a 17.5 hp b&s). Mine is a 31R977 and for giggles and grins I went to the B&S site, and looked at several of the 31Rxxx IPL's and they all use the same cam (793880).

FWIW,

Kelly

LaKajun

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is an emissions tag that I copied the numbers from that reverts to the 793880 cam.