2006 HRX217HXA drive issue

adams

Threads
Looking for some help diagnosing the drive on my 2006 Honda mower Model # HRX217HXA. The self propel does not travel as fast as it used to. I got out the repair manual and tried to adjust the drive cable per the instructions but would not adjust so it would start to move on the second speed notch as the instruction said it should even at max adjustment. If you set the handle to max speed it moves but pretty slow. If you reach down and pull on the cable housing that is strapped to the handle it would speed up considerable. So is the cable just really stretched out or is there something to check inside of the transmission? I not sure whats in the transmission that varies the speed based on how far the cable moves the lever on the transmission, is this some sort of a CVT transmission?

Also - the transmission oil is very black so I would like to replace it but need to know what type of fluid it uses and how many oz to add.

How about an online free service manual for this model. Look like part # is 61VH700HMAE1

Last edited:

adams

Threads
Ok I received all my parts , the factory service manual & the new cable has improved the slow mower speed. It now travels at normal speed like it did when new but to achieve that I did have to use all the adjustment. So that would indicate the hydro drive is heading towards the end of its life.
I did get info on how to replace the fluid and bleed out the air by removing the diaphragm in the hydro drive. Those two other plugs that look like where you drain out the fluid you do not remove. Also it does use a hydrostatic fluid from Honda which the local dealer stocks.

IMG_20190407_135257860.jpg

Hopefully this little bit of info will help some else.

JBtoro

Threads
I pulled the tran. & drained the old fluid & added genuine Honda. Did my best to eliminate air bubbles per several procedures I found online. I wish I could test my work on the bench somehow to see if I was successful with the refilling & bleeding prior to reassembling everything & actually engaging the hydro-static cruise control while attempting to mow. It took me several hours to disembowel the mower; i.e., all the wheels, cir-clips, nuts, bolts, & shrouds, etc. in order to remove the tranny. If I left some air in the unit, I will have to do that all over again. Ugh