2002 Turf Tiger

Quantum673

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello from Ohio.
I am looking at purchasing a used Scag. I am looking at a 2002 STT31BSD-72 with 1200hrs
This has the diesel engine.
I mow approximately 3 acres currently with a John Deere 455 Lawn tractor (also diesel).
Looking at a zero turn to save some time.

Questions for all.
What is a fair price on a mower like this? Assuming it is in good condition.
Are there any things that jump out to you that I should check on mower before buying? (Other than obvious Oil, Filters, Belts, Deck spindles)
Any known issues with these mowers?
Anything else you can think of I should know.

I look forward to all your answers and feedback.

This looks like a great place to get a ton of good info.

Quantum673

Forum Newbie
Threads
Would $3900 be a fair price if everything checks out as far as condition?

Steve0853

Threads
Would $3900 be a fair price if everything checks out as far as condition?

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but my opinion is that it's a diesel Scag with only 1200 hours. If there are no structural problems (engine, deck, pumps), then it should be good for at least another 1200 hours with only routine maintenance.

If you are only cutting 3 acres, then that would equate to several years of service with one of the finest commercial mowers made.

That's a great deal for $3,900.

I know I'd rather have $3,900 in a used commercial Scag than $3,900 in one of the new big home improvement/hardware store mowers.

Quantum673

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the feedback.
I am going to see if they will let me demo it. My only concern is my front lawn is a pretty nasty hill. So I want to test it on the hill before buying. Make sure it is stable and pulls the hill without issue. My 455 has no issues with it but it has bar tires on the rear and the Scag has turf tires. I guess we will see.

Thanks again.