1999 Yardman 604G parking brake lever stuck

coldje

Forum Newbie
Threads
This mower has a parking brake button on the dash. The button has to be pressed which actuates a rod that locks a parking brake lever, in order for the engine to start. You press the brake to set the parking brake. Press the brake again and the parking brake button is supposed to spring back, but mine is stuck. The brakes themselves work fine: the mower rolls back and forth in Neutral and stops when the brakes are pressed. However, I can't figure out to unstick the parking brake lever that runs between the floor plate and the bottom plate. I was able to loosen the bottom plate to take a peak. See attached pictures.

There was a similar post from 2017 https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/parking-brake-stuck.44259/ but the solution was not posted.

Attachments

• parkingbrake1.jpg
    parkingbrake1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 9
  • parkingbrake2.jpg
    parkingbrake2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 8

Richie F

Threads
The button on the dash having a direct link to the "cam" under the tractor isn't an issue.
I could see the cam pivot becoming frozen if the machine sat for a long time.
Or a spring is broken that would pull or push the cam mechanism.
Another thing to look at is how the brake pedal linkage itself operates the cam.
These are just thoughts, don't own a machine like this.

coldje

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for responding. Having pushed down on the end of the bracket where the little spring is, it's not moving. I power-washed that area and then loosened the bolt where the bracket pivots, towards the engine (front). I'll follow-up here when I determine the fix.