1999 Grasshopper 725 - How do I remove the deck lift switch from control arm?

aetarrell

Threads
  • / 1999 Grasshopper 725 - How do I remove the deck lift switch from control arm?
I think this is an easy question . . . just trying to replace the foam rubber grips on my old 725, but I can't figure out how to get the "lift switch" off the right-hand control arm. I thought there were three little allen headed screws in there, but can't find anything to fit.

Anyone know how to get those loose, and is it really just as easy as unscrewing them and then replacing them once the new grip is in place? (sorry, my old eyes won't let me see it clearly enough!)

Thanks!

aetarrell

Threads
  • / 1999 Grasshopper 725 - How do I remove the deck lift switch from control arm?
Any Grasshopper experts out there?

4getgto

Threads
I think this is an easy question . . . just trying to replace the foam rubber grips on my old 725, but I can't figure out how to get the "lift switch" off the right-hand control arm. I thought there were three little allen headed screws in there, but can't find anything to fit.

Anyone know how to get those loose, and is it really just as easy as unscrewing them and then replacing them once the new grip is in place? (sorry, my old eyes won't let me see it clearly enough!)

Thanks!
Are these the foam handle grips you're talking about..?

IMG_20200421_074352.jpg
These are on a Woods but should be the same..

aetarrell

Threads
Yes, very much like that. I got one on just fine, but the other one needs to go past the switch used to activate the deck lift. It should be easy, but I can't figure out how to get it off there. I've tried phillips head, torx head, allen wrench without success. Any ideas would be much appreciated - I'm sure someone has done this before!switch.JPGswitch.JPG

4getgto

Threads
Looks as though it's riveted on. Aside from drilling them out and disconnecting the wire and reinstall. Is that switch factory installed.?

It may just pry out if you get behind it with a screwdriver. " maybe"..!

aetarrell

Threads
Thanks @4getgto - you're absolutely correct. The switch is factory-installed, and Grasshopper just confirmed that they are in fact rivets.

Basically suggested I drill them out, disconnect the switch wires, pull the foam grip into place, poke the wires back through the new foam, reconnect the wires, then rivet the switch back on.

Sounds easy enough, but I'm sure I can screw something up! Might just try screwing them back on so 20 years from now it won't be so complicated!

gsim

Threads
Do not pry it. Plastic housing likely to break. Definitely riveted in place, so ought to be easy to drill out, remove switch, install new handle grips, and reassemble. I'd almost take a look at using special sports grip tape over old foam. I have the 'curb hopper' option on my Hopper too, big 72" front mount deck. Never need it on my place.