1985 twin 18hp i/C

1985 craftsman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

Hope someone can help. Model of engine is 42707, throttle moves butterfly valve in carb normally when shutdown. Once started the valve moves only slightly or not at all, if the engine is shutdown the valve moves to selected position. Any thoughts? I have checked governor position and all linkages appear to be secure.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like the govenor is working. What does the engine do wrong while running?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engine off, throttle plate should be in the wide open position. Engine on, gov-na' pulls the throttle linkage closed. The more revs the harder the gov-na' pushes towards closed.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with Hammer that it sounds like the governor is working properly. What exactly do you feel is the problem? Second, when you post back, double check your model number, I think your fingers missed one digit.

1985 craftsman

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine is on a 1985 craftsman with a manual choke. The engine will not advance, increase revs, when running and using the throttle. It will increase revs if you manually move the carb valve. So It is not the engine, it appears to have something to do with the throttle governor?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you tried adjusting the throttle control, where the cable is attached too the engine. Not uncommon for the cable to come loose and not allow you to bring the engine up to for speed. To adjust place your throttle control in the fully forward position. Then loosen the cable clamp and push the cable forward as far as possible, then tighten the screw.

1985 craftsman

Forum Newbie
Threads
The cable is properly set. As described it moves the throttle plate normally when the engine is shut down. The throttle plate does not move when moving the throttle while the engine is running.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
“The cable is set properly “, does that mean you have adjusted it the way I described? Just because it moves when the engine is shut down, doesn’t mean it is set properly.