19 hp Briggs valve shaking problem???

ted.thurlby@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model 33R877 type 0007-G1 vertical shaft. Wanted to give model and type first just in case others need to know. I am working on a 19 hp Briggs engine single cyl. for a friend. I am a good mechanic but this simple valve problem is kinda throwing me. His engine was making noise and hard to start. I brought it home and opened up the valve cover and the top (which looks like the exhaust) Can someone enlighten me which one is intake and exhaust - top or bottom.) It looked to me that since the exhaust valve is right next to the valve it would be the exhaust.This is closest to the exhaust valve. It was loose enough to cause the engine not turn over. Anyway I ordered a valve guide since the old one was wore inside and the pushrod was bent. I installed the valve guide and a new alum. pushrod. Adjusted the valves like the others say to do. (Even used the other method with one all the way down check the opposite one, then close the other and adjust the other one. Will this method work. Anyway I adjust the valves and when it runs the top valve shakes laterally thereby destroying the valve guide. Why is it doing this. both valves are opening and closing correctly. This engine is only 2 years old. What keep the valve from moving around laterally so much. Am I missing something. If the valve .004 intake and .005 exhaust they should not be doing this. Something is causing the rocker arm to move not just up and down but laterally also. I have tried to explain this the best I can. I know I have to order another valve guide. The pushrods are straight and on the cups inside and out. Confused mower mechanic.... Please reply its driving me crazy. Don't want to repeat fixing and having the same problems again. Ted

Threads
(Even used the other method with one all the way down check the opposite one, then close the other and adjust the other one. Will this method work.

Yes it works all the time............. You ordered valve guides ??? I don't think you ordered guides..... A new head or a used head is the way to go..... You are bending push rods ??? Wow...... You said your valves were opening and closing all the way????

I went to the DR. today and tired and hungry tooooo much in one day...

Instead of trying to explain guides I will post a link for you.... This is a funny guy so watch the whole vid GOOD info for you ...... Mon Ami

Look at 17:48 for the guides It's a lot easier to see it than typing for me....

https://youtu.be/Pl5vNccJwQs

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ted ..... the Video Boudreaux posted is EXCELLENT, this is the way to set the valves ( without fighting the TDC method ) it's IN this video, so be sure to watch the ENTIRE thing !! the part about your valve guides is "in" at appox 18min. & 45sec. sorry to say, it's lookin like you need a NEW /USED cylinder head .... IF you get used, be sure you check the guides, yes the valves correspond next to their openings, ( ie. exhaust valve next to exhaust pipe ) enclosing a link to the SHOP service manual, since it covers SEVERAL models ... BE SURE you're in the RIGHT section for your model ... OH yeah , ... there's a sligt charge for using MY REAL name too !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ybEN0LWo3azl6OUU/edit

OOOoops forgot... you should check the valves to specs. (in the manual) you may have to replace if stems worn due to wobblin around in the guide even though he workin with a TWIN cyl. engine, the procedures pertaing to a SINGLE cyl. are the same, Keep us POSTED !!

Last edited: