Forum Newbie
Threads
new plug
new gas
Often need to turn switch many times before solenoid pulls

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So will the engine turnover and not start, or when you turn the key nothing at all happens?

oregonvet

Forum Newbie
Threads
It will click and click, then the solenoid catches and it turns the engine BUT
not firing. Starting fluid no help either. Last time it ran, it started hard, but then ran.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So most likely a no spark issue... And could be a bad solenoid/or its starting to go out.
what make and model Engine?

oregonvet

Forum Newbie
Threads
A few years ago, I had the same problem and somewhere was told to change that part with the numbers. It worked but don't have any idea what it is or whether it's bad again. The solenoid is faulty but works off and on. I had this mower serviced last year at Stark Street but they said they couldn't get a solenoid.

Attachments

• elecct.jpg
    elecct.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 4

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Does Kawasaki FC540V sound right?
First off to verify a no spark issue, I usually remove the spark plug and shoot either carb spray or starting fluid in the plug hole, just a short burst will do. reinstall the spark plugs and plug lead, try to start if it fires and dies, probably not a spark issue. if it doesn't fire, no spark. Next what i do is remover the plastic or metal engine cover (blower housing) and locate the ignition coil... there should be a black kill wire hooked to it, unplug it, and repeat the steps aformentioned. If it fires with the kill wire unhooked, something is causing the kill wire to short to ground.
Now, IF it is a FC540, the ignition system contains 2 parts the coil mounted next to the flywheel, and a igniter, which is basically a electronic points set, that tells the coil when to fire... It is possible the igniter is bad.
Also another variable is the engine's spec number, FC540V-xxxx, looking at the parts illustrations, some models of the FC540 Used an igniter, and some used an integrated igniter, which is located inside the ignition coil and is replaced as a unit.

EDIT: if this is the same JD 180 not an L180, this thread may cover the solenoid issue. https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/john-deere-180-starting-issues.25790/
not aware if there is a procedure to test an igniter, one of the true tech's will probably need to answer that.

Last edited:

oregonvet

Forum Newbie
Threads
model 180 LT W 46
My dad bought it in 1988
He always wrote prices..$3200...seems like a lot back then.

oregonvet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found the parts catalog. It is the igniter and I ordered the right one. Also have a solenoid on the way to stop that annoyance.
Thanks for getting me heading in the correct direction.