18 hp briggs intek, Craftsman mower, Only runs with the choke on

mchandless

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 18 hp briggs intek, Craftsman mower, Only runs with the choke on
I have a craftsman mower with an 18 hp Intek single cylinder Briggs. Mower would start and seem to run and cut fine when choke was on. Would cut out and die or lope with choke off.

New plug, oil, air filter, adjusted valves, and went through carb. What else?

scott47429

Threads
since it runs fine with the choke out it has to still be in the carb or fuel lines or tank by pulling the choke it increases the richness of there fuel air mixture witch means its not getting enough fuel

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Craftsman Forum. :smile:

neohornet

Forum Newbie
Threads
You need to have the carb cleaned, carb kit, and install a fuel cut off switch in the fuel line. That way when you are done mowing you turn the fuel off and the mower will run till the bell is out of fuel and it helps the bell and jets from getting clog with junk from the fuel just sitting there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a carb or air leak problem. As last poster said I would rebuild the carb, making sure that the jets are very clean and the float level is right. In your area, I disagree with the last poster about the shut off valve and trying to run the float bowl dry. You will never get all the fuel out and in your climate the fuel left would evaporate and you could end up with water corrosion if you are using fuel with ethanol in it. I would also check for an air leaks between the carb and intake manifold, and manifold to block. These air leaks could easily cause your problem.

WCBcoor

Threads
I had a Craftsman and dealt with the same problem for about 3 years. Finally after countless hours with no positive results, I decided to go through the fuel system piece by piece. I removed and cleaned the fuel tank, fuel lines, filters, rebuilt the carb, etc and tried tractor after each repair. Finally, at the other end of the tractor, I got to the fuel pump and replaced that. This solved the problem and the tractor now starts and runs perfectly. Only wish I had started at the other end of the tractor...

trainbanger

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a craftsman mower with an 18 hp Intek single cylinder Briggs. Mower would start and seem to run and cut fine when choke was on. Would cut out and die or lope with choke off.

New plug, oil, air filter, adjusted valves, and went through carb. What else?

I just had a simular problem. It turned out to be the fuel solinoid at the bottom of the bowl. You can test this by removing the solinoid and touching it to the engine block still plugged in. If the small plunger does nothing it is bad, allowing too much fuel in the carb. It shoud move up and down in time with the engine. If you don't have the this type, I'm not sure I can help.