175 brake disc not spinning. ??

Pigletrma

Threads
I am trying to get my brakes working. The old pads were very worn. Super pain in the rear to get the back bolt of the caliper off, but I did. Then to get to the pad behind the disc, it looked like I needed to take the nut off, move the dis and replace. Simple? Nope. Couldn't get the nut to turn without moving the disc.. Gave up and put it back together with only one disc thining I might get a little more life out of the brakes before I have to hire someone who has a brain for these things to get to that back one. Well.No brakes a tall, and I see now that the disc is not even spinning. What is going on? Thanks!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Looks like you're in trouble as it maybe a stripped part. JDParts indicates parts are NLA.
1661533972761.png

D

Deleted member 97405

The transmission consists of a hydro bolted to a differential. Two different units and two different oil cavities. If the tractor just freewheels and you have no brakes, check to make sure someone didnt remove a rear wheel and forget to put the axle key back in! If the keys are there, then most likely the axle gear at the differential stripped off the axle splines. Therefore your differential isn't turning, which would in turn rotate the shaft that the brake disc is mounted to. A lot of folks forget to check the differential gear oil and it runs dry, which destroys the internal parts. Or they pull the drain plug under the tractor thinking they're draining the hydro, when in fact, they've only drained the differential, and then they forget to refill it. Everyone checks the oil under the seat, which is for the hydro ONLY. The differential oil is checked via a pipe plug under the tractor. All these scenarios were quite common back in the day when we used to get a lot of these in the shop. Hope this helps!

Pigletrma

Threads
The transmission consists of a hydro bolted to a differential. Two different units and two different oil cavities. If the tractor just freewheels and you have no brakes, check to make sure someone didnt remove a rear wheel and forget to put the axle key back in! If the keys are there, then most likely the axle gear at the differential stripped off the axle splines. Therefore your differential isn't turning, which would in turn rotate the shaft that the brake disc is mounted to. A lot of folks forget to check the differential gear oil and it runs dry, which destroys the internal parts. Or they pull the drain plug under the tractor thinking they're draining the hydro, when in fact, they've only drained the differential, and then they forget to refill it. Everyone checks the oil under the seat, which is for the hydro ONLY. The differential oil is checked via a pipe plug under the tractor. All these scenarios were quite common back in the day when we used to get a lot of these in the shop. Hope this helps!
It certainly helps me understand it. Can I ask one more thing? After I gave up in despair and decided I would just use it with out brakes (like I have on most every other lawn mower I have had in my life), I took it off the jacks and took it for a psin and the brakes work fine. Is it that when both wheels are in the air and you spin one, that the shaft that holds the disk does not spin?

D

Deleted member 97405

correct, with the wheels in the air, they will spin opposite each other, but the brake disc won't move. The brake disc only moves when both wheels are moving in the same direction. Since this is a hydro transmission, you probably won't be using the brakes to actually stop the machine much anyways. Instead, you just bring the control handle to neutral to come to a stop.