14AK13BK756 No power to key switch

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The red B wire going to the key switch is dead as a door knob. When I turn the key on, I get nothing. There's not even any reading on the meter, at any time.
So far, what I've done.

Replaced the corroded S wire to solenoid. The battery wire on the top of the solenoid would not tighten, so I replaced the solenoid. (3 post to 4 post) connected the ground wire to solenoid, and wondering if I'm supposed to run a separate ground wire. The test light does come on when I touch the ground going to the solenoid.
In fact, the S wire going to the solenoid, also makes the test light come on when I touch it. But I suppose it's supposed to do that.

Where I am getting power:
The battery wire to the solenoid and both sides of the fuse.

My thoughts on this is that it can't be a safety switch, because even a bad one, would still allow the meter to display and allow power to the key switch, wouldn't it?

Update: I ran a direct wire to the key switch and everything works as it should. Except that wire get's pretty hot. The engine dies when I disconnect it.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
On that GT1554 what year is it and when does the wire get hot assuming your are using the same gauge wire?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
On that GT1554 what year is it and when does the wire get hot assuming your are using the same gauge wire?

Actually I'm just using a thin lead with alligator clips on the ends. I believe it's a 2016. (Serial number 1D186H30114)

IIRC, the juice goes through the fuse (20a) to the key switch. So possibly a short between the fuse and the key switch. That be the case, I have a few extra harnesses I could rob the right size & color wire and just wire it in, without undoing all the coating and wrapping. Right?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I don't why most people calls an open circuit a short circuit. Easy to find out it is an open circuit. Disconnect the battery so voltage is present and do ohms test from the fuse to the switch.

This should be the correct wiring diagram. There are three different versions for different years. Just don't follow the 5 amp fuse circuit it got to be drawn wrong.

CC GT1554 2005-2006 Wiring diagram

I think they meant to be like this instead.

CC GT1554 2008 wiring.JPG

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Something different with this one. The fuse I've been messing with, goes to a 12v power port with a positive and a ground. So I'm guessing there's another fuse somewhere.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't why most people calls an open circuit a short circuit. Easy to find out it is an open circuit. Disconnect the battery so voltage is present and do ohms test from the fuse to the switch.

This should be the correct wiring diagram. There are three different versions for different years. Just don't follow the 5 amp fuse circuit it got to be drawn wrong.

CC GT1554 2005-2006 Wiring diagram

I think they meant to be like this instead.

View attachment 52992

The power port is why there's a 5a fuse. I need to find the other fuse.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
SOLVED: The fuse that actually went to the key switch was blown. I've never seen one with a power port.

Thanks star for making me think.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sometimes cleaning the cobwebs out the attic helps. Don't feel bad sometimes all us can't see the needle for haystack. I had a customer long long ago just to ask what somethings was on a piece of equipment that I was stuck as to waht was wrong. They had no idea of how to fix the machine but that question simply refocus my attention long enough for me to spot the problem that staring me in the face.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sometimes cleaning the cobwebs out the attic helps. Don't feel bad sometimes all us can't see the needle for haystack. I had a customer long long ago just to ask what somethings was on a piece of equipment that I was stuck as to waht was wrong. They had no idea of how to fix the machine but that question simply refocus my attention long enough for me to spot the problem that staring me in the face.

I had the battery off, and could see the harness plain as day. But the fuse between the battery and the key switch, was wrapped around the bottom. So it wasn't visible.
The blown 5a fused, that I found first, made perfect sense. That is until I realized where the power was going to.

Hopefully, I won't forget this little lesson any time soon. spent about 2 hours on this electrical issue.