12.5hp Briggs and Stratton powerbuilt popping problem

ericmows125

Forum Newbie
Hi everyone!

My Briggs and Stratton has had a popping problem for a while. It starts up fine and runs fine, but it always pops no matter what speed the engine is running at. I have cleaned the air filter, replaced the spark plug, cleaned the carbuerator bowl,replaced the needle valve and sprayed the carb with carb cleaner. I have to have the engine run slightly fast on idle otherwise the engine quits after a few seconds.
 
Is it popping out the exhaust or out of the carb?

Could be a few things.
Carb may just need a proper strip down and clean.
Also if through the carb it could be head gasket or valve but they would give symptoms of bad starting aswell.

Whats your model type and code?
 
If giving the carb a good cleaning (find someone who does ultrasonic cleaning if possible) does not help, I would suspect you have a burned or sticking exhaust valve. This will mean pulling the head to diagnosis.
 
Back
Top