Tires 11" rear wheels cracking

dinolan

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have a 22" Craftsman model 917.376742 walk behind self propelled mower with 11" rear wheels made of the cheapest plastic imaginable. They're part number 407773x427, which are no longer available and the replacement wheels seem even worse made. The wheels have three spokes and all three spokes on both wheels are cracking due to strain and stress caused by mowing un-level ground or by pivoting the mower on its rear wheels.
Anyone have this problem and found a sturdy replacement?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
try you local Tractor Supply store, they have a large selection, just take old wheel with you.

deck~dragger

Threads
Actually, that mower looks to have front drive. If so you have more aftermarket options. Google "steel mower wheels + height x width dimensions". According to craftsman that is a 12" wheel and I am guessing a 1/2 diameter spindle hole. Also keep in mind the length of the hub, if not exact you can use an extra washer or two[steel wheels are heavier so you may want to go narrow]
Here's one I saw just looking around, you will have to check hub width.
http://www.truevalue.com/product/12...nt-Lawn-Mower-Wheel/41911.uts#fullDescription

Another option that may be better, wire spoke wheels. They would be lighter but time proven.

dinolan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies. They are 12" wheels and the mower does have front drive. I found a pair of wheels, although with plastic hubs, that seem pretty sturdy. We'll see how long they last. I'd have preferred metal or wire wheels, but the mower's old and not worth putting too much $$ into it.