11 hp Briggs&Straton motor off a generator

CoachOLIne67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Starts with starting fluid--won't stay running--removed carb was all gunked up cleaned it ---still won't run unless i shoot some fluid
checked spark it seemed kinda weak to me--would that cause the problem ??
Help working on 2 go carts for grandsons..

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Give us the model #, should be stamped on the blower housing. Or on the valve cover or heatshield around the head.
Clean out all the jets with carb spray, and make sure fuel is flowing good to the carb.
Good spark is bright blue, ideally.
If it's orange it's weak, but can still run.
Definitely sounds like a fuel issue to me

Last edited:

AVB

Threads
The color is the spark can be varied as long it is strong all is good. It all depends the chemical make up of the surrounding air. In salty air environments the spark can be orange just like the sodium vapor street lights because of the high sodium content of the air. With make up of the air here most sparks are white to nearly invisible unless in a darken room. The strength spark here has to be determined by spark gap.

It does sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me too since it runs on induced fuel.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree with the above. And that 11hp should really spank that go-kart!

Romore

Threads
Go easy with that startihng fluid, it will destroy aluminum cylinder walls. Obviously the carb is still plugged somewhere but we need the engine model and type to make an informed diagnosis. Not your question but a generator engine is not the best choice for your application. You will either need some machine work to adapt a drive or change the crankshaft to a straight keyed version.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go easy with that startihng fluid, it will destroy aluminum cylinder walls. Obviously the carb is still plugged somewhere but we need the engine model and type to make an informed diagnosis. Not your question but a generator engine is not the best choice for your application. You will either need some machine work to adapt a drive or change the crankshaft to a straight keyed version.
I was thinking the same thing. Most generator crankshafts are tapered.