Recent content by PTmowerMech

  1. PTmowerMech

    Ferris for sale (why not buy it?)

    What was all the talk, a few years ago, about Ferris or Briggs filing bankruptcy? Or did I just imagine all that?
  2. PTmowerMech

    Ferris for sale (why not buy it?)

    The LX188 isn't really part of the point. It's more about parts availability than anything. Getting stuck with a great mower I can't hardly buy parts for, would be a huge mistake on my part.
  3. PTmowerMech

    Ferris for sale (why not buy it?)

    Thanks for the reply. You get the question. It's been years since I've worked on a Ferris. There's just no dealers around here. It's mostly JD and Gravely. I remember reading here about distribution problems with some Briggs parts. IIRC, there was something also said about Ferris. My...
  4. PTmowerMech

    Ferris for sale (why not buy it?)

    A shop not far from me has a 48" Ferris for sale for $2,200. And I'm really thinking about getting it. This LX188 is just of a pain. The hood won't come off, unless you get down and unbolt it from the hinges. And the screen that covered the engine, is constantly getting covered up with grass...
  5. PTmowerMech

    LX188 Deck lift won't latch at the top setting.

    I should've added more to my questioning as to what to look for. Yes, I'm aware it could be worn out. I don't have a helper to raise and lower it to see what's moving. What's not clicking into place. It locks into it's settings. Except for all the way up.
  6. PTmowerMech

    Carburetor overflowing

    It's not a return line. With the new carb on it now, it's not even dripping gas. But I'm still going to route a longer line from the carb to below the muffler. The first time this happened, the muffler (or something) ignited the gas.
  7. PTmowerMech

    Carburetor overflowing

    It ran fine. No smoke. Would idle low and rev high. But poured out the vent tube
  8. PTmowerMech

    Carburetor overflowing

    After I fix the deck height problem on this same LX188, I'll give the old carb a closer inspection. Funny thing though, the engine wasn't burning black smoke, when the top vent of the carb was pouring gas.
  9. PTmowerMech

    LX188 Deck lift won't latch at the top setting.

    Hey fella's. Hope everyone's spring is going good. I'm having a deck height problem and hoping someone knows about this issue. I press the button, pull the lever all the way back, release the button and the deck goes back to what ever setting the dial is on. It doesn't feel like it's...
  10. PTmowerMech

    Carburetor overflowing

    So I cranked her up last week, and gas flooded out the top (again). So I bought another cheap Amazon carburetor and problem solved. I inspected the other carb, and couldn't see anything wrong. The only thing I can think of was that what ever was wrong, was fixed when I removed the bowl to...
  11. PTmowerMech

    how to set torque wrench?

    I'm glad you posted this. I have one of these. And didn't know how to read it correctly. I get it right, within a few lbs. But those other numbers, I didn't have a clue about.
  12. PTmowerMech

    how to set torque wrench?

    it looks like you're setting on 38.
  13. PTmowerMech

    Backfiring through the exhaust

    Doesn't the same effect on the coil happen when you run a 2 cylinder on only one plug wire. As in removing one plug wire, starting it, then repeating the process with the other side? The electricity being created by the coil with the disconnected plug wire has to go somewhere also. Right?
  14. PTmowerMech

    Backfiring through the exhaust

    .02 isn't exactly right. But it's not enough to really be concerned about. It' wasn't a sloppy .06.
  15. PTmowerMech

    Backfiring through the exhaust

    Any tips on removing a plug wire while the engine is running. I know that sounds like a rookie question. But the first and only time I've done it (decades ago), I got the fire knocked out of me, and never tried it again.
Back
Top