Recent content by CLStout

  1. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    Thanks! I have a handful of those that I purchased recently. They seem small compared to the OEM ones, but currently they are working just fine.
  2. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    I was able to locate the correct diode (1N4007) which I purchased and made a new harness. I made a new connection after the plug in the OEM harness for ease of removal in case I have further issues. It was more of a PITA to install the kill switch harness than it was to make it. I would...
  3. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    Are there alternatives to the diodes?
  4. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    Is there a different method instead of the diodes?
  5. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    That was the original kill switch diode harness. If not for the forum, I would never be aware of the diode issue.
  6. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    Thinking that the kill switch diode was possibly bad, I ordered the diodes and made a harness myself. It was a real PITA, but I got it installed and the backfire is now gone, at least for the time being. I hope it's been fixed. Thanks everyone for the assistance! This forum rocks!
  7. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    There are times when it won't crank over well, but that has always been when the battery is low. I don't have a trickle charger, so occasionally I have to put a charger on the battery. When it's fully charged, I don't have any issues.
  8. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    The valves seem to open up the same amount. As for the engine cranking while the plugs are installed, if the battery is charged, it cranks fine. Am I needing to replace the camshaft? I forgot to mention that sometimes it doesn't shut off when the key is turned to the off position. It will...
  9. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    OK, I understand. But it's a new, never been used gauge. This is literally the first time I've had it out of the box. And with the numbers for compression that the manual says it should be, I thought it was a good number. The instructions say it can be used for any type of engine.
  10. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    It's a brand new gauge. Never been used prior to this. And yes, this was cranking psi. I continued to crank it over until the needle on the gauge stopped moving. Both plugs were removed, so it spun easily. Why would I report fictitious numbers?
  11. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    Thanks for the reply. I can check each cylinder with a scope for carbon. But I don't know about it being new. This is a 2008 engine. Is that considered new? Do you mean engines manufactured before a certain date are higher in compression ratio? I don't mean to sound like I have a bad attitude...
  12. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    That's what is so odd about this. It's a random backfire. It's now not only during idle but at full throttle, too. At first it was a slight backfire only while idling. Now it's happening no matter where the throttle is positioned.
  13. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    Excellent, thanks!
  14. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    How do I replace that diode?
  15. C

    Briggs and Stratton Intek v-twin 20hp

    New fuel filter. Fresh tank of gas. It's what I've been running since I bought the mower new back in 2008. The fuel pump is 2 years old. I will remove the fuel line after the pump and check it. I haven't removed the engine cover yet to check the coils and the gap for the coils. I will do that...
Back
Top