Recent content by Auto Doc's

  1. A

    Craftsman Kohler engine stuck both intake valves in the guides

    I figured out how to get to the Rehlko parts break down for this engine and found it even more complex because they have a serial number break. I'm still confirming the numbers shown.
  2. A

    Craftsman Kohler engine stuck both intake valves in the guides

    Hello MParr, I have not yet. I am thinking this was built in 2021 before Rehlko split off into its own division in 2024 from Kohler.
  3. A

    Craftsman Kohler engine stuck both intake valves in the guides

    I have the heads off finally. I also removed the breather to verify it was not choked up with oil carbon. Cylinder have very good cross hatching with normal piston play. No scoring in the cylinders. Cyl. head #1 casting 32 494 29 Cyl. head #2 casting 32 494 30 I do not want to reuse the old...
  4. A

    Craftsman Kohler engine stuck both intake valves in the guides

    I tried heating the intake valves with a propane torch after I tapped them open with a hammer and they stuck that way. With heat, the right side would slowly come back to closed. The left side stayed open after heating for a solid 5 minutes. When I pulled the intake, I can see the valve stems...
  5. A

    Craftsman Kohler engine stuck both intake valves in the guides

    Hello MParr, Inside the crank case unknown but there is no unusual noise when cranking and both pistons move in the cylinders. I do not think the owner has done any adjustments or service except change the oil and filter and refuel. The oil appears to be way overdue because it is very black.
  6. A

    Tecumseh Broke Rod

    You are in way over your head. Look into getting a used engine or refit a new engine.
  7. A

    Gcv 160 only run on choke

    I vote for pulling the carburetor off, removing the bowl carefully so the bowl seal does not get damaged, then clean the gel out that used to be stabilizer and fuel. It is best to stay with the original carburetor if possible because the main and pilot jets have been calibrated to your motor...
  8. A

    Towing capacity

    I considered putting a trailer hitch on my RZT 50S and then started adding things up. For short pulls it would not be much of an issue, but the heat builds up quickly in the hydraulic drive motors. Water is approx. 8.33 pounds per gallon. Add the weight of the tank assembly and the trailer and...
  9. A

    Craftsman Kohler engine stuck both intake valves in the guides

    Hello MParr, Thanks for the reply. I have not seen valve guides available for any Kohler engine in years. I will know more after I get past the rain we are having because the machine is outside. I don't have room to bring it in my 2-bay shop. I am going to try heating the intake valves before...
  10. A

    Craftsman Kohler engine stuck both intake valves in the guides

    Hi Slomo, That is still the mystery I have to determine. It is outside and it is raining around here currently. I'm also going to verify the compression release has not been damaged before I dig too far into this engine. If it has, the cam will need to be replaced which just adds to the...
  11. A

    Craftsman Kohler engine stuck both intake valves in the guides

    Hi Tiger, I almost installed in a couple of good pushrods until I went to check the intake valves individually and they would not budge while being pushed down by hand with a hammer handle. Both exhaust valves could be opened and spring right back like normal, but the intake valves stayed...
  12. A

    Oil measurement question

    Ah, the illusive oil stick that has plagued owners for years especially if they are perfectionists.... Just think, engineers do this stuff to create confusion. If the level reaches the middle of the check/add range on the stick after checking a couple of times in a row, leave well enough alone...
  13. A

    Craftsman Kohler engine stuck both intake valves in the guides

    Hello sgkent, I am going to tear into it depending on how the rain holds out in my area. This has got my curiosity peaked as to what I will find out. The owner has been good about using non-ethanol fuel, but I don't know if any additives mixed in. The fuel tank is practically empty. When I do...
  14. A

    Craftsman Kohler engine stuck both intake valves in the guides

    Hello folks, This problem is a first for me to come across. Craftsman/MTD CMXGNAM211704 zero turn with a Kohler PS-KT735-3077 engine. The customer brought it to me after we had discussed some troubleshooting steps over the phone without resolve. When it arrived, I check for compression and it...
  15. A

    Advice

    If your oil smells like gasoline, the carburetor is bleeding fuel past the float needle. It has had fuel sitting in it for extended periods between use or the float needle is bad. The oil needs to be changed, and the carburetor properly cleaned... Especially on the inside. In the future, it is...
Back
Top