Mower won't go in 1st or 2nd gear

Create2013

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2004 MTD riding mower that runs great but won't go in 1st or 2nd gear. I replace the belt just about a week ago. 3rd, 4th, 5th gear runs great but not 1st and 2nd. I tried to adjust it but I can't figure out how to. I have a manual for it, but it doesn't show you much. Please Help!!!

Jared

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things make sure to use MTD OEM belts, otherwise they won't work for long. The other thing is to change both belts at the same time, because they have to sync to work properly. A worn belt will throw this off kilter.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 2004 MTD riding mower that runs great but won't go in 1st or 2nd gear. I replace the belt just about a week ago. 3rd, 4th, 5th gear runs great but not 1st and 2nd. I tried to adjust it but I can't figure out how to. I have a manual for it, but it doesn't show you much. Please Help!!!

Jared

Try this.
Put it in 4th and go a short distance and turn the key switch off not touching anything else. Not the brake, clutch no nothing. Get off and feel the tension on the two motion drive belts. They should feel approximately the same with both having tension.

Now start it up and do the same in 1st and report back on belt tension of the two belts.

MARK DUHRKOPP

Forum Newbie
Threads

Jared
so what did you do to fix it

MARK DUHRKOPP

Forum Newbie
Threads

Jared
so no answers