Fuel injected Kohler w 24 pin Bosch ECU

jjreds01

Threads
No spark on cyl 1. Have power to coil and continuity from pin 22 on the ECU connector to coil connection/trigger wire.
ECU is bad? And it's discontinued.
Spark was intermittent before it finally died.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Check the plug wire. Those Bosch systems were bad about plug wires. Take it off the coil and ohm it from the boot to the end that attaches to the coil. I believe it should ohm out around 5000 ohms.

jjreds01

Threads
Thanks I should have mentioned the coil trigger wire is getting zero volts. It's not even trying to make a spark. I'm going to try to probe pin 22 at the ecu connector

VegetiveSteam

Threads
What coil trigger wire are you referring to? One lead to the ignition coil should be battery voltage and the other (pin 22) is the ECU controlled ground.

jjreds01

Threads
Ok when I put a 12v test light on the running cylinder #2 it lights up both sides primary+ & -. On the dead cylinder no light on -. Swapping the coils no change. That's why I checked continuity cyl 1 coil - to pin 22. I'm admittedly lost rn.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Ok when I put a 12v test light on the running cylinder #2 it lights up both sides primary+ & -. On the dead cylinder no light on -. Swapping the coils no change. That's why I checked continuity cyl 1 coil - to pin 22. I'm admittedly lost rn.
Is pin 22 making good contact into the ECU? If it's running on one cylinder, I'd rule out the ECU being the issue at least electrically. Although that doesn't mean it couldn't have a bad pin.

When you got the light to light on the + and the - was it unplugged from the coil?

You also might check the ECU ground. It's been in a couple different locations. At one time it was connected to one of the starter bolts and later they moved it to under the blower housing.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I forgot to ask. Are there any trouble codes?

jjreds01

Threads
When you got the light to light on the + and the - was it unplugged from the coil
No it was running everything plugged in. Cyl #2 firing light on +&-
Cyl #1 not firing light on + only

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Well, I haven't been much help to this point.

Again, you might check the eyelet on the ECU ground wire. Kohler had an issue with corrosion, not where the eyelet contacted the engine but where the wire made contact inside the eyelet. You might just look at it and see if there are any signs of corrosion.

The fix was to cut off the eyelet and solder on a new one. The factory one was crimped but in the field crimping often doesn't work. It needs to be soldered. A faulty ECU ground could cause the issue you're having.

If all else fails, you might call Kohler's tech support line. They take consumer calls these days although I think their best Bosch EFI guy has recently retired. I believe their tech line number is 1-866GOKOHLER.