Ferris IS2600Z Drive Belt Nightmare

Honest Abe

Threads
About a week ago my brand new Ferris IS2600Z Diesel threw a drive belt do to a branch that wedged up into the belt and pulley . I could not move back or forward. I got a look and saw that the drive belt (top belt) not the deck belt came off of the pulley. So the hydraulics were not working.
The belt is still in good shape and all I want to do is take it off. I have a new belt coming, but the one that is on is still in pretty good shape . the branch didn't do to much damage.
For three days, I've been trying to remove the belt rather then cutting it off.
If you have this machine and have tried to get the belt off let me know how you did it.
I've been in contact with B&S who makes Ferris and they don't know how to get my belt off either. Their answer..... cut it off.
I've been to all the sites for Ferris. Apparently, this model isn't the most popular one.
I think I'm the only one who bought one.
Go here - match up your units model & s/n
About a week ago my brand new Ferris IS2600Z Diesel threw a drive belt do to a branch that wedged up into the belt and pulley . I could not move back or forward. I got a look and saw that the drive belt (top belt) not the deck belt came off of the pulley. So the hydraulics were not working.
The belt is still in good shape and all I want to do is take it off. I have a new belt coming, but the one that is on is still in pretty good shape . the branch didn't do to much damage.
For three days, I've been trying to remove the belt rather then cutting it off.
If you have this machine and have tried to get the belt off let me know how you did it.
I've been in contact with B&S who makes Ferris and they don't know how to get my belt off either. Their answer..... cut it off.
I've been to all the sites for Ferris. Apparently, this model isn't the most popular one.
I think I'm the only one who bought one.
try going here - https://www.ferrismowers.com/na/en_...s.productmanuals.html?searchrequested=5901475
match up your Model # & S/N to the proper Operator Manual.
then probably go to page 38 .....1716040867767.png
1716040844406.png

Attachments

• 1716040524781.png
    1716040524781.png
    438.6 KB · Views: 6

neighborbill

Threads
I am finally through with this whole disaster of belt change.
If any one wants I'll go through everything that I had to do I'll do it.
My freind and I worked on this Ferris for 4 hours today. Both of us guessing what to do.
It is working now at the end of several hours of swearing and knuckle busting moves.
The belts can't be replaced with one person it takes two.
If you have an Is2600Z Ferris, it is a beast to change the Hyro drive belt on. Deck belt is a piece of cake.
One of the biggest obsticles is the battery holder. Taking it out is a risk. leaving it in blocks all vision and accessess as to what to do.
I am so exahusted that this is all I want to do for now.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am finally through with this whole disaster of belt change.
If any one wants I'll go through everything that I had to do I'll do it.
My freind and I worked on this Ferris for 4 hours today. Both of us guessing what to do.
It is working now at the end of several hours of swearing and knuckle busting moves.
The belts can't be replaced with one person it takes two.
If you have an Is2600Z Ferris, it is a beast to change the Hyro drive belt on. Deck belt is a piece of cake.
One of the biggest obsticles is the battery holder. Taking it out is a risk. leaving it in blocks all vision and accessess as to what to do.
I am so exahusted that this is all I want to do for now.
I’m glad that you finally got it. Did you have to remove the mower deck?

neighborbill

Threads
We came close to dropping it. But did not. Mike (my friend) is younger and a lot stronger then I am . He was able to pull on the idler so hard while I was able to jamb it from moving back. He was able then to slip the belt back under that pulley, where it belonged. This was only able to happen because he is strong and young. We spent the next two to three hours trying to put the belt back on under tension. Since that pulley is under the battery box you cannot use that spot for the last place to slip the belt on. Instead he went back to that idler pulley with spring on it, gave it a pull like only he could and I saw in the back under the cuttler slipping it on over the pulley mounted on the clutch shaft.
New old belt was still in good shape and I hope it lasts a long time. New belt still arriving in a few days.

One last note. We didn't try it but maybe by removing the battery box with the six bolts and two pistons attached to it, there would have been adequate area to do it like the book says.
So for now, this is the end of this long story. I tried it and it is working good again.

Now I'll be able to drive it back on my trailer and haul it off to a dealer who will do the warranty work on the transmission box that is leaking oil.

Honest Abe

Threads
We came close to dropping it. But did not. Mike (my friend) is younger and a lot stronger then I am . He was able to pull on the idler so hard while I was able to jamb it from moving back. He was able then to slip the belt back under that pulley, where it belonged. This was only able to happen because he is strong and young. We spent the next two to three hours trying to put the belt back on under tension. Since that pulley is under the battery box you cannot use that spot for the last place to slip the belt on. Instead he went back to that idler pulley with spring on it, gave it a pull like only he could and I saw in the back under the cuttler slipping it on over the pulley mounted on the clutch shaft.
New old belt was still in good shape and I hope it lasts a long time. New belt still arriving in a few days.

One last note. We didn't try it but maybe by removing the battery box with the six bolts and two pistons attached to it, there would have been adequate area to do it like the book says.
So for now, this is the end of this long story. I tried it and it is working good again.

Now I'll be able to drive it back on my trailer and haul it off to a dealer who will do the warranty work on the transmission box that is leaking oil.
Curious, how many hours are on your mower ... ?

Honest Abe

Threads
Less then 30 hours
Ouch - I've got about 850 on mine and (crossing my fingers) the only issue has been the PTO switch went bad, kind of expected after a while... and well, there was that morning that I kind of buried it clear up to the frame thinking I could make it through a wet area. Yikes, when I stepped off even I sunk up to my ankles .....

neighborbill

Threads
So your belts have lasted 850 hours ?
Once I get this transaxial box fixed I'll be looking for another life with this IS2600Z

Tiger Small Engine

Threads

Next time remove tensioner spring, install belt, and reinstall spring and it will be easier.