Ferris 23 Hp B&S Engine Vibration

Skippydiesel

Threads
I am curious;

Most of my experince is with 3-6cylinder diesel engines - never had a failure like this B&S V twin. Anyone care to speculate how/why?

Engine came to me second hand in good esthetic condition (looked well cared for) with a claimed approximate 190 hrs (hour meter frozen at a much lower number). The mower is used weekly (during grass growing months) to assist in keeping a small horse spelling property looking neat & tidy.

Subject to space/fit what engine would you replace the OM with?????:
(a quick brows of the net did not come up with the same model replacement)
In my country the following seem to be available:
  • Kawasaki FX730 23.5 hp (most expensive)
  • Vanguard 23 hp (second most expensive)
  • B&S 25 hp Commercial Turf Pro Series
  • B&S 25 hp Commercial Pro Series (cheapest)

• Then we jump to 27 hp
  • B&S 27 hp Commercial CXI Series
  • B&S 27 hp Commercial PXI Pro Series
If you have other engine suggestion's, please advise.

Last edited:

Skippydiesel

Threads
What! No thoughts, on engine replacement, from the Forum Brains Trust?????

I would have thought that repowering, of mowers & the like, would be a hot topic.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks like the Briggs recommended engine to replace your current engine is a 44T977-0009-G1 That will be the only direct drop in engine. The Kawasaki engine will also require new exhaust possible wiring changes, etc. The Briggs Commercial engines are all variations of the Intek twin and should have the same wiring set setup, but will also have to different exhaust.

Skippydiesel

Threads
Yeah! Thanks for that Lawn Royalty - The engine you recomend looks the goods. The extra 2 Hp will be helpful too.

My research to date, suggests that Australia is going through a bit of a B&S twin drought - the engine you specified is not available at the moment BUT Briggs & Stratton 25 Hp Vertical V-Twin Pro Series engine has been offered to me. From my perspective the Pro Series specifications/build is well below the 44T977-0009-G1 - what do you think?

Skippydiesel

Threads
Out of curiosity - Do you think that the 27 Hp 724cc (49T877) would fit without any chassis modifications???

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yeah! Thanks for that Lawn Royalty - The engine you recomend looks the goods. The extra 2 Hp will be helpful too.

My research to date, suggests that Australia is going through a bit of a B&S twin drought - the engine you specified is not available at the moment BUT Briggs & Stratton 25 Hp Vertical V-Twin Pro Series engine has been offered to me. From my perspective the Pro Series specifications/build is well below the 44T977-0009-G1 - what do you think?
The Pro/Commercial engines are just Intek twins with upgraded features which are below the quality of the Vanguard engines.

Out of curiosity - Do you think that the 27 Hp 724cc (49T877) would fit without any chassis modifications???
It should bolt right up, just make sure the crankshaft diameter and length match your current engine or the specs of the 44T977-0009-G1

Looks like the 49T877-0009-G1 has the same crank dimensions as the 44T977-0009-G1

Skippydiesel

Threads
Just found out that no 27Hp 1in x 3 5/32 in shaft motors imported in to Australia. Dont know why.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just found out that no 27Hp 1in x 3 5/32 in shaft motors imported in to Australia. Dont know why.
Are you able to get Loncin engines? That may be an option. Their engines of that HP rating usually have a 1” crankshaft end. Of course, you will have to modify the wiring.

Skippydiesel

Threads
Thanks for that MParr. I did a search - Yes Loncin are available in Australia. There is a 24 HP variant with 1" shaft. Very cheap. There is no dealership close to me. My concern would be parts back up. I think I will stick with the B & S that hopefully will arrive in Australia about mid June