Electrical issues or something else?

Kramer432

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy Bilt riding mower. It was left at house by previous owner. Got it started once a while back. It wouldn’t start again, except randomly here and there. All it would do is click at solenoid, so I ended up replacing solenoid and it still clicked. The other day, I touched the ground that comes off battery and solenoid (one spliced ground) to a spring under seat and it turned over really quickly and would’ve started if it had gas. I put gas in it and almost got it started but the jump pack I was using died. So, I got a new battery, as the old one needed replacing anyways. Went to try to start and it was acting like it did when the jump pack was almost dead, turning over super slow, maybe once or twice, and then just stopping and the wires get hot, almost melting if I hold it for too long. Why all of a sudden is this new issue here? Is it a connection issue? I’ll admit that I’m not a professional at all with lawn mowers.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. First thing I would check is the solenoid ground. If you have a 3 post solenoid, it is grounded through the solenoid frame, when it is bolted in place. Make sure that this is very clean, no paint or corrosion between the two. If it is a4 post solenoid, one of the small wires is the ground wire. Again make sure the connection is very clean.

Kramer432

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. First thing I would check is the solenoid ground. If you have a 3 post solenoid, it is grounded through the solenoid frame, when it is bolted in place. Make sure that this is very clean, no paint or corrosion between the two. If it is a4 post solenoid, one of the small wires is the ground wire. Again make sure the connection is very clean.
Mine has two prongs, and then two addition flap/prong connections under. It’s been cleaned after this photo.

Attachments

• IMG_4769.jpeg
    IMG_4769.jpeg
    700.5 KB · Views: 13

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a 4 post solenoid. One of the two small wires should be the ground. Most would guess the green one, but I NEVER ASSUME. Check to see which one goes to a chassis ground. What is that connection, green to black, on the right hand side of the picture?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I have a Troy Bilt riding mower. It was left at house by previous owner. Got it started once a while back. It wouldn’t start again, except randomly here and there. All it would do is click at solenoid, so I ended up replacing solenoid and it still clicked. The other day, I touched the ground that comes off battery and solenoid (one spliced ground) to a spring under seat and it turned over really quickly and would’ve started if it had gas. I put gas in it and almost got it started but the jump pack I was using died. So, I got a new battery, as the old one needed replacing anyways. Went to try to start and it was acting like it did when the jump pack was almost dead, turning over super slow, maybe once or twice, and then just stopping and the wires get hot, almost melting if I hold it for too long. Why all of a sudden is this new issue here? Is it a connection issue? I’ll admit that I’m not a professional at all with lawn mowers.
Wires getting really hot tells you that mower wiring has high resistance, such as corrosion on terminals, bad ground, loose connections, etc. Really study the wires visually and see if you can locate the issue.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If this all you have for a ground from the battery to frame its need fixing first.
1714821235391.png

Kramer432

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have a 4 post solenoid. One of the two small wires should be the ground. Most would guess the green one, but I NEVER ASSUME. Check to see which one goes to a chassis ground. What is that connection, green to black, on the right hand side of the picture?
The black and green are the ground. It’s since been cleaned up and put into a ring to connect to frame.