Command cv16s Not charging

Chris_feldk

Threads
I did an engine swap on my cub cadet, a bought a cv16s at the time of buying I didnt know that It had an unregulated 3 amp charging coil unlike the 15 amp cv16. I needed a 15 amp so I bought a cv16 flywheel and cv16 stator. I bought a used flywheel but an Amazon stator and regulator. Everything bolted up good and I get 35 volts off of one ac wire but 3 off of the other, and when connected to the regulator I get 3 volts. I get 0.3 ohms through the stator and the wires aren’t shorting to ground. Do you guys think it’s the cheap stator? Any help would be great thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well going a lot more info. Like part vendor (link part ad). Plus which flywheel did get off eBay?

And also which CV16 is this going on?
1714930603186.png

Service Manual

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I did an engine swap on my cub cadet, a bought a cv16s at the time of buying I didnt know that It had an unregulated 3 amp charging coil unlike the 15 amp cv16. I needed a 15 amp so I bought a cv16 flywheel and cv16 stator. I bought a used flywheel but an Amazon stator and regulator. Everything bolted up good and I get 35 volts off of one ac wire but 3 off of the other, and when connected to the regulator I get 3 volts. I get 0.3 ohms through the stator and the wires aren’t shorting to ground. Do you guys think it’s the cheap stator? Any help would be great thanks
This is a common error. You don't measure each AC wire individually. You measure across them, but the total VAC should be the same. Black lead on one stator wire and red lead on the other. You should have a minimum of 28 VAC across the two. I'm guessing if you measure across the leads, you'll have 38 VAC which is right where you want it to be. Measuring each lead individually will always show one wire with less output than the other. Sounds like your stator is just fine.

Where are you measuring the 3 volts? Is it DC voltage at the B+ terminal of the regulator? If so, the minimum you should have there is battery voltage. The regulator has to be connected to a battery to work. The B+ terminal needs to be connected to the battery and sense DC battery voltage to turn it on and put out any useable voltage or amperage. If that's where you're reading the 3 VDC, that is just stray bleed through voltage and means nothing. Also don't forget. Besides needing battery voltage coming to it, the regulator also needs to be grounded to work.