ZTR mowers with zt-2800

stryderlis

Threads
Hi all - I live in MN and currently i'm looking to get a ZTR mower with the zt-2800 as my yard has a pretty steep hill in the back. With that said, my yard is only .33 acres and i'm currently mowing twice a week with my Toro Timemaster(roughly 1hr). I'm looking to cut down my mowing time, hence looking for a ZTR. I will be using this mower to dethatch and Aerate my lawn as it sucks to dethatch and bag manually. I did some research and it looks like the Big Dog Alpha mpx 36(currently not in stock) is the cheapest 3900 with the zt-2800. Then everything else(Hustler, Ariens, etc...) is a 42 inch deck and come in around 4200. I'm just looking for the best deal for a ZTR with the zt-2800, let me know what your thoughts are.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are regularly mowing very steep slopes then get a mower with a horizontal shaft engine or risk a low oil siezure because on a slope it is very easy to have the oil pump to be higher than the oil level in the sump & pumping air.
With a yard that small, a used commercial should do you well if you keep the service level up on it .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don’t think that you are going to have a lot of people recommending a ZTR for use on hills. First, you need to know the hill angle. Some manufacturers say that 15 degrees is maximum and others say 20 degrees is maximum. A lawn tractor may be a better choice. Again, know the degree of slope. What does the manufacturers recommend. Weights may need to be added to the front of the mower. Pulling equipment is another thing that should be considered. Hydros are expensive to replace. A ZTR has two. You may want to do some more research before you buy a ZTR for your property.

stryderlis

Threads
I don’t think that you are going to have a lot of people recommending a ZTR for use on hills. First, you need to know the hill angle. Some manufacturers say that 15 degrees is maximum and others say 20 degrees is maximum. A lawn tractor may be a better choice. Again, know the degree of slope. What does the manufacturers recommend. Weights may need to be added to the front of the mower. Pulling equipment is another thing that should be considered. Hydros are expensive to replace. A ZTR has two. You may want to do some more research before you buy a ZTR for your property.

The slope is probably 13-16 degrees max (section 1) on one side of my house and about 10-13 (section 2) on the other side. I’ve used my neighbors jd 335 on it to aerate and dethatch before. If it’s not wet it does just fine but if it’s wet and there are a lot of weights on the dethatcher it seems to have a hard time climbing. So when it’s went I usually just go down the steep section only.

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Scag makes the Liberty Z with a 36” deck and ZT2800s. 15 degree slope recommended.
You are going to experience similar problems towing with the ZTR as you do with your lawn tractor. The center of gravity is better with a lawn tractor. There is very little weight on the front of a ZTR. Add a towed implement and that adds to the problem.

stryderlis

Threads
Scag makes the Liberty Z with a 36” deck and ZT2800s. 15 degree slope recommended.
You are going to experience similar problems towing with the ZTR as you do with your lawn tractor. The center of gravity is better with a lawn tractor. There is very little weight on the front of a ZTR. Add a towed implement and that adds to the problem.
I have not used a tractor before, I’ve used the jd 335 zero turn and towed an aerator and dethatcher with it. So are we saying it will be the same regardless which ztr I get?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have not used a tractor before, I’ve used the jd 335 zero turn and towed an aerator and dethatcher with it. So are we saying it will be the same regardless which ztr I get?
Pretty much. A ZTRs engine and transmission is in the rear. The rider, gas tank and mower deck is in the middle. There is very little weight on the front. Easy to pop a wheelie with an implement added. With a lawn tractor, most of the weight is up front. The rider and mower deck is in the middle and the gas tank is in the rear. Better balance for towing implements. Plus, you can add a snow thrower if needed.
I would look at a lawn tractor. A Kubota is a good choice.

DK35vince

Threads
Why are you so set on a IZT2800 has no filter and it is really a non-serviceable hydro. Oh I know you can siphon the oil out through the breather hole but who has that capability. Step up to the IZT 3100 which has a filter and is serviceable. Which is on the Big Dog Alpha MPX probably the best mower on the market for the money. This would be my choice.
The ZT 2800 do have filters and serviceable

Last edited: