ZT2200 Hydro oil replacement

pahanorlando

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all. I just purchased Gravely ZTX-42 with 591 hours on it.

One side goes faster than other, which means it'll probably need some adjustments on levers or by the transmission.

But I was wondering, since it has that many hours, is it worth replacing the oil? I know that usually they do not go bad, but at the same time, can't it go bad because of old used oil? I'd rather replace oil than replace transmission parts.

Some say if its running fine don't change it, but couldn't it be a good preventative maintenance?

I know it's sealed and removal of transmission will be needed to drain the oil.

Thanks

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
is it worth replacing the oil? I know that usually they do not go bad
Oh they sure can and do. And just wait till yours does $$$$$. And a lot of waiting on a mower shop to fix it.

I would follow the mower/engine manual about fluid/filter changes. Can't fix what's not broken.

pahanorlando

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oh they sure can and do. And just wait till yours does $$$$$. And a lot of waiting on a mower shop to fix it.

I would follow the mower/engine manual about fluid/filter changes. Can't fix what's not broken.
Manual states to change oil only if its contaminated lol, but if ZT-2800 says to change it every 400 hours, I don't see why it would be a bad idea to change oil on ZT-2200 when it has 591 hours. I get that one is sealed and another one isn't, but parts inside are very similar.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Manual states to change oil only if its contaminated lol, but if ZT-2800 says to change it every 400 hours, I don't see why it would be a bad idea to change oil on ZT-2200 when it has 591 hours. I get that one is sealed and another one isn't, but parts inside are very similar.
Disregard what another model says about anything on YOUR mower.

Follow what your manual states to the letter.

Might read your manuals, mower and engine, several times. There is a lot of good stuff one can miss that could be crucial info.

Case in point, cleaning your engine block and cooling fins. This is a YEARLY must do, in yours and every other air cooled engine manual out there. Pull the top engine cover and clean all around the block and head/s slash cooling fins. Should be clean silver aluminum all around. Bet this was not high on your list????

pahanorlando

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, so in your opinion it's not worth changing oil if transmission still runs good?

Here is from the manual
"This transaxle is factory filled, sealed and does
not require oil maintenance. However, in the
event of oil contamination or degradation, oil
addition or change may alleviate certain performance problems."

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With hydros the big problem is contamination
BEcause the oil in under a lot of pressure and tiny bits of debris in it will cause you problems
Because 99.9% of people never bother to wipe the top of a dip stick before they take it off hydros are specifically designed not to be easily checked , drained or refilled .
If you have to take it off the mower then hopefully you will clean it properly before you start .
Changing the oil is good for the drive and changing it regularly is even better provided you do not introduce contaminants while doing so .
The only place I use synthetic oil is in hydro boxes and there is does make a difference .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, so in your opinion it's not worth changing oil if transmission still runs good?

Here is from the manual
"This transaxle is factory filled, sealed and does
not require oil maintenance. However, in the
event of oil contamination or degradation, oil
addition or change may alleviate certain performance problems."
Don't worry about my opinion. Follow your manual is all I was saying.

If it was me, I would try to change it. Use my Briggs 4 liter fluid sucker and go to town on her.

1654295558358.png