Zforce Sx 54 Stiff Steering

ironheadchop

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all. I have a Zfroce Sx 54. Little over 300 hours on it. Here lately it seems the steering has gotten really stiff, to the point you have to use both hands and really turn the wheel. I used to be able to mow with only one hand but last few months i havent been able to do that. It takes both hands. I jacked it up to take a look at it. Found a spindle on on wheel was broken at the weld. Was hoping that was the problem. I took it apart and rewelded the spindle. But it all back together and re greased everything good. Look a look at everything while i had the front covers off. All looks good nothing broke or bent. Whats the torqure supposed to be on the spindle nuts? I doubt that they are too tight. Anyone else have any suggestions or something else to take a look at?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The service manual for the Z-Force S series doesn't cover the SX series. Without your actual model number (Starts with 17) it is only guess work. The 2017 model shows the use of taper bearings without a preload spacer on the front spindles. Tighten the castle nut down until the bearings start to bind and back off slightly (one or two cotter key slots) and install the cotter key. This much done the same way automobiles with front wheels are done. The steering has a couple u joints that might be binding due needing greasing. Also there is lot of places that binding from harden grease or rust can occur. You may have to go completely thru the steering components to find where the binding is at. A lot more involved than most would think.

ironheadchop

Forum Newbie
Threads
The service manual for the Z-Force S series doesn't cover the SX series. Without your actual model number (Starts with 17) it is only guess work. The 2017 model shows the use of taper bearings without a preload spacer on the front spindles. Tighten the castle nut down until the bearings start to bind and back off slightly (one or two cotter key slots) and install the cotter key. This much done the same way automobiles with front wheels are done. The steering has a couple u joints that might be binding due needing greasing. Also there is lot of places that binding from harden grease or rust can occur. You may have to go completely thru the steering components to find where the binding is at. A lot more involved than most would think.

Bought it in 18 or 19. It does have taper bearing in top and bottom on the spindle. I will try to back off the castle nut and give it some play, but it was still stiff before i took it apart.