Zero turn

lilguy

Threads
I have .9 acres with home, so grass about 2/3 acres +-. Found a Ariens Apex 52 in cut (5000.00) and a Gravely Pro-Turn ZX 48 in cut 6000.00. Lots of trees and islands on lot. It’s the closest dealer and carries Toro also. Moved from 16 acres, 6 being mowed with a Kubota Diesel tractor. Most folks who cut their own grass around me use JD lawn tractors
Paying landscaper to mow weekly with 60 inch Bob cat. What others would any suggest? Thanks

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
So, you are not real sure about spending more money for a zero turn?
For 2/3 acre, a lawn tractor will be just fine. A 42” to 48” deck will be plenty big enough.
Don’t cheap out. Get a decent unit. Go to your local dealers and not the big box stores. Warranty is the big reason for that. Dealers you buy from are usually very friendly, knowledgeable and want your business. Buying from a big box store, you get a sales receipt.
Here’s one. https://www.deere.com/en/mowers/lawn-tractors/x300-series/x330-lawn-tractor/
Here’s another. https://www.kubotausa.com/products/mowers/lawn-garden-tractors/t2090br-42

lilguy

Threads
It’s not the cost, just don’t know much about ZTs.
No Kubota dealer near me sells the small tractors, Would get one but no one to handle warranty if a problem arises on an out of state purchase. My dealer for the last 25 years closed and no others carry small lawn tractors. Have a Deere dealer close, looked at them. The one I was interested in had a non serviceable transaxle which I thought was a problem.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It’s not the cost, just don’t know much about ZTs.
No Kubota dealer near me sells the small tractors, Would get one but no one to handle warranty if a problem arises on an out of state purchase. My dealer for the last 25 years closed and no others carry small lawn tractors. Have a Deere dealer close, looked at them. The one I was interested in had a non serviceable transaxle which I thought was a problem.
Most lawn tractors are going to have the K46 transaxle. They are serviceable. However, you will need to remove the transaxle in order to get the old oil out and refill.
The Simplicity Broadmoor uses the K57 transaxle. Simplicity’s are very nice mowers.
Many of the low end zero turns use the Hydro-Gear EZT transaxles. These are considered non-serviceable too.
Rear engine riders are another option. They are usually 30”-33” cut. All are made by MTD.
Then there are the 30” walk behind mowers. Toro is the major player there.
For a lawn your size, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a John Deere X330.

Last edited:

bkeller500

Threads
I did not like the look of the cut from my John Deere X590..........it just did not look good. Sold it and purchased a Simplicity Courier XT Zero turn. The deck on the Simplicity is so much better. The look of the cut is superior. There is a trick to getting the deck level and once you do ...it's solid. John Deere uses a 3-point triangle type of set up for their decks, thus the decks tilts as you turn corners or circles. Looks bad around boulders, trees and landscape. I could not get it to a point that was acceptable. Maybe I'm too picky but if you are going to spend $4-5K to get a new mower, focus on the deck hanging system. If you go to a showroom and step on the deck and it moves or tilts, move on. You will likely never be satisfied. I'm sure there are other brands that are equal in performance but this is my 2-cents worth of advice.