zero turn under $3000

btemple92

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I am new to this site and wanted to first say hi to everyone. I am looking for some help in deciding on a new zero turn under $3000. I currently mow my lawn and a neighbors but soon will be adding a 3rd (probably just under an acre total). All 3 lawns are very flat so no issue with a residential zero turn. I have a 10 year old cub cadet lt1050 rider and it isnt going to fit through the gate at the new neighbors lawn( good excuse to give the wife to buy a new one ). I would like a zero turn with a 42" fabricated deck and preferably a kawasaki engine. I have it narrowed down to 2 machines.

Hustler raptor 42 with 21.5 HP Kawasaki $2799

Gravely/ariens ikon x 42 with the 18HP Kawasaki $2899

I really like the deck setup on the ariens but i'm worried that it will be under powered with the 18 hp vs hustler 21.5

I am open to suggestions of other manufacturers as well. I grew up using my fathers scag turf tiger and really miss having a zero turn.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Kimbo

Threads
I'm in the same boat...

I recently moved to a 1 acre heavily wooded (oak trees) lot and looking to buy a ZTR mower no more than 42". There is a slight grade on the land, but for the most part practically flat.

I've narrowed it down to:
Bad Boy MZ
Hustler Raptor
Ariens Ikon X
Big Dog Alpha

Must haves are the ability for a hitch and a good bagging system to pick up all the leaves in the fall.

mhavanti

Threads
Hustler Raptor, hands down.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't agonize over this decision as there is a better than average chance you will be making it again in 5 years or so

mhavanti

Threads
Ain't that the truth, Bert?!

Kimbo

Threads
Don't agonize over this decision as there is a better than average chance you will be making it again in 5 years or so

So what is your advice on the next level up? I'm not looking to spend $10K on a mower, but will invest in something that will last longer than 5 years.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Best dollar value at the moment are the Spartans because they are a start up so being offerred virtually at cost.
If you have a better budget then look at commercials .
They are built to last not to fool the uneducated buying public who do not understand the "magic pudding" was a children's fairy tale.
I don't see 1/2 the models that you do as most Australians are not as obsessed with foot ball field lawns as Americans seem to be.

Start a new thread "Recommended mowers under $ 10,000" and you will get a better response.
That sort og money puts you in the top end residential & mid order commercial mowers and they are a totally different breed of animal.
I for one really like the Great Danes much of which were morphed into the Gravely range after Ariens bought them out and closed them down.
An old Dane Charriot will get passed down to your children's children. They did come with a 42" deck and probably set you back about $5000.
After that the Toro Z Masters, again built battle field safe but not sure they come in 42"

Any mower fitted with a horizontal shaft engine.
Horizontals are designed to run 1000's of hours as they get fitted to skid steers, compressors & pumps.
Got a Kanga ( minni loader / trencher ) with 32,000 hours on it fitted with a Honda, got a skid steer loader / sweeper fitted with an Onan with 16,000 hours on it.
Vertical shaft engines are designed to run hundred's of hours because they are only fitted to lawn mowers that get occasional use.

jp1961

Threads
I was at my local Kubota dealer looking for a used tractor for a work buddy and saw stacks of new in crate zero turns. Looked to be residential type models (lighter duty), not sure of the model number though.

Regards

Jeff

RajunCajun

Threads
Hi,
I am new to this site and wanted to first say hi to everyone. I am looking for some help in deciding on a new zero turn under $3000. I currently mow my lawn and a neighbors but soon will be adding a 3rd (probably just under an acre total). All 3 lawns are very flat so no issue with a residential zero turn. I have a 10 year old cub cadet lt1050 rider and it isnt going to fit through the gate at the new neighbors lawn( good excuse to give the wife to buy a new one ). I would like a zero turn with a 42" fabricated deck and preferably a kawasaki engine. I have it narrowed down to 2 machines.

Hustler raptor 42 with 21.5 HP Kawasaki $2799

Gravely/ariens ikon x 42 with the 18HP Kawasaki $2899

I really like the deck setup on the ariens but i'm worried that it will be under powered with the 18 hp vs hustler 21.5

I am open to suggestions of other manufacturers as well. I grew up using my fathers scag turf tiger and really miss having a zero turn.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Most of your residential zero turn mowers under $3000 incorporate
the Hydro Gear EZT hydrostatic transmissions. In my opinion, While these are reliable units, they are sealed, non serviceable units. No drain plugs and no filters are on these models. They are essentially “throw away” units. I have seen videos where a mechanically inclined individual disassembled the rear EZT units off of a ZTR and removed the filler plug and drained them, to change the transmission fluid. ...... if you would like more years of service out of your residential ZTR.

I suggest spending $800 to 1000 more on a model that uses the Hydro Gear ZT2800s units.
HydroGear ZT2800s are the smallest “SERVICABLE” hydrostatic transmissions
available for most ZTRs (can change the filter + oil change).

examples:
Gravely ZT XL 42 (42") 21.5HP Kaw , Hydro Gear ZT2800s $4100
Hustler Raptor SD 42” KOHLER, Hydro Gear ZT2800s. $3799
Snapper 360z 25/52 Briggs 25HP, 52” Hydro Gear ZT2800s $3699
(360Zs w/smaller decks than 52” use the EZT transmissions)
TORO TimeCutter® MX5050 (74771) 50” Hydro Gear ZT2800s $4000

One option I discovered for the sealed EZT units may be ..... is an Oil Extractor (OREGON 88-405) a hand pump extracting OLD transmission oil through the filler plug. Then refilling with fresh oil. This would extend the life of them somewhat.
028E6781-7002-432D-8B07-F29B8952C7FD.jpeg
F41F3B8C-A41B-4AA3-816B-909449050D39.jpg
7E76C07A-4444-498D-81A4-6FAEE8080FCB.jpeg
5FF2F462-3AE9-4611-BF02-90CEC02F5DBD.png
F52A2E98-4300-43EC-96D9-02A4E612D74E.jpeg

Kimbo

Threads
Thanks

I've realized from my research, it's better to have the serviceable hydros, especially since I'd like to occasionally tow. That said, most of the hitch options started at 48" mower (which would still work for me) and/or another mower grade up. I'm also leaning towards the KW engine. My "new" budget is $5K, which has narrowed my choices to:

• Hustler Raptor SD 48"
  • Scag LibertyZ 48"
  • Bad Boy ZT Elite 48"