Zero turn mower seat

Mad_mat222

Threads
Greetings,
Has anyone got any good suggestions for zero turn seats. My Hustler Raptor seat needs replacing. They are rubbish. A cushion mounted to a piece of plywood. And it doesnt even look like marine ply. Ive seena few of the boat seats look like they might fit. Has anyone done this?

Cheers
Mat

SHB

Threads
I found a universal mower seat on line when the seat on my Dixon bit the dust.

Mad_mat222

Threads
Were you happy with the universal seat? What brand of seat did you get and was it easy to install? Genuine hustler seats here are going for as much as $600 so i wont be going genuine. Found the below seat but that is still $200. Boat seats are going for less than $100. And before anyone scoffs at boat seats, they cop more abuse than a mower seat ever will, atleast in the boats ive been in.

Attachments

• vevor seat.jpg
    vevor seat.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 14

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it have a place for the seat safety switch?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does it have a place for the seat safety switch?
No but if choose carefully most can be modified to take one if you cant modify the mower body to take a Murray style switch
Done it dozens of times.
We in OZ have the highest UV content in our light on the planet so mower seats and plastic bodywork takes a beating unless protected with covers & kept out of the sunlight when stored.
I use a flip back seat that costs me around $ 40 Aust.
Originally I cut a hole in the base with a holesaw then fitted the seat switch after ripping out some of the foam
But I got smart and started to fit the switch in the body and put an arm on the seat to work the switch .
I have done the latter a few times to overcome seat switches that are too sensitive for elderly widows
Again first time I spent a fortune fitting a delay switch ,
Next one I simply moved the switch

yellbird

Threads
I have the Garmin msg65 on a Grasshopper and just love it. No bottoming out or topping, not cheap but have had it for around 12 years and no problems

Mowogmaca

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings,
Has anyone got any good suggestions for zero turn seats. My Hustler Raptor seat needs replacing. They are rubbish. A cushion mounted to a piece of plywood. And it doesnt even look like marine ply. Ive seena few of the boat seats look like they might fit. Has anyone done this?

Cheers
Mat

No but if choose carefully most can be modified to take one if you cant modify the mower body to take a Murray style switch
Done it dozens of times.
We in OZ have the highest UV content in our light on the planet so mower seats and plastic bodywork takes a beating unless protected with covers & kept out of the sunlight when stored.
Originally I cut a hole in the base with a holesaw then fitted the seat switch after ripping out some of the foam
But I got smart and started to fit the switch in the body and put an arm on the seat to work the switch .
I have done the latter a few times to overcome seat switches that are too sensitive for elderly widows

Done it dozens of times.
Great post bertsmobile1. My Rider 16 is in dire need of a seat change. Are you able to assist with your source for the cheaper (circa $40) seat?
I'm on Blue Mts NSW.
Mowogmaca

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According to my invoicing this is the seat I have been using
Explorer folding seat or at least that is how I described them in my invoice
Last time I bought them they were 4 for $160+ $ 40 freight
It is a common seat. can't remember where I got them from but it was on line from Melbourne just before the 2019 bushfires
They are pedestal mount multi fit seat and just about every boating shop kept the exact same shell with different cushions and of course different names and different prices .
Had a quick sticky and these look to be the same seat Steamship Seat all over Evilpay, Again same plastic base different cushions .
No matter what I fitted one to one pair of bolt holes lined up with the slots in the seat but you have to fit a mudguard washer either side .
For the Timecutters I made up a mounting plate so the quick seat position adjuster would still work as it was for a commercial customer.
The Toro seat was over $ 300 and a 90 day wait .
The cheapest mower seat I can get wholesale is over $ 150 and that is basically an upholstered pan with a 3" back so after tax that ends up being $ 200 + fitting to the customer
The boat seats end up being just under $ 100 fitted , last longer, don't rust out and are a lot more comfortable
These are just a back & pan.
If you want arm rests then you are in the Realm of "Skippers" chairs & the price doubles
The fold downs are good because if you fold them down after use they don't collect water and it keeps the sun off the vynal
An old T- shirt makes a good seat cover for the back or a skivy so you can use the arms to tie it on .

Last edited:

dbshelton

Threads
I have a Tempress orthopedic high back boat seat $200 on my Dixie chopper. Love it!