Zero turn metal on metal sound

bgesmlz

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 61" Simplicity zero turn with 810 cc B&S 28 HP motor. It started fine, like it always does. After a few minutes, I could hear metal on metal grinding. I turned it off and inspected the motor and under the deck. No blade issues. When I try and turn the fly wheel (may not be the right name. The item that has holes in it and spins when running) it turns freely and then gets hung up. When it does so, I hear the metal. Any ideas?
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The flywheel lives under the blower cover on top of the engine .
Do yourself & us a big favour by going to Simplicity manufacturing and downloading your parts diagram ( it is free )
\IF you use the correct names then we will know what you are trying to tell us & provide good information.

bgesmlz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your response. I looked it up and yes, I was spinning the flywheel by hand on top of the motor. It gets hung up at one spot as you turn by hand. If you start it, it will run but you hear metal rubbing in a pattern as the motor turns. Did not leave running long as don't want to damage further. Thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for clearing it up
Sounds like you have some debris stuck to the magnets under the flywheel or even a broken magnet
Not uncommon for a tiny piece of magnetic gravel to end up under there
So time to pull the flywheel off and give it a clean out under there
You will find the spaces between each magnet full if crud that needs to be carefully removed .

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the oil full ?

bgesmlz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. Yes oil is full. I've tried to post a video but it's too large. As I turn it by hand the metal grinds at the exact same place during each rotation. The sound is definitely coming from the engine. I'm wondering if a cam issue. Was hoping for a easy answer but seems like it could be major!

bgesmlz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for clearing it up
Sounds like you have some debris stuck to the magnets under the flywheel or even a broken magnet
Not uncommon for a tiny piece of magnetic gravel to end up under there
So time to pull the flywheel off and give it a clean out under there
You will find the spaces between each magnet full if crud that needs to be carefully removed .
Thanks, I'll try and pull the flywheel and see if that's the issue.