Repairs z665 zero turn eats belts

Ptown Bubba

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a z665 JD 0-turn mower. We can't seem to keep the drive belt healthy. The belt constantly 'rolls' ,, then fails. I have replaced all the pulleys,, even bumped up to a 5/8 in belt 5L-600 and 5L-610, the factory belt is a 4L590.1 [59inch]. Has anyone with a 665,,, or even other models,, had issues with drive belt ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Belts roll because the axis of the pulleys are angled between each other.
Usual suspect is the tensioning pulley.
If you are really meaning the rear drive belt, check that the bolts holding the drives are all there & secure.

Ptown Bubba

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply,, yes it is the motor to Hydraulic pump belt,, 59.1 in long 1/2 size. I am aware rolling belts are an alignment issue,,,, I have replaced the 3 pulleys,,,, only ones not replaced are the one on the crankshaft, and the hydra pump pulley The pulleys are very deep grooved, so I tried the 5/8 in dia belt,,, looks good when installed,,, but will roll also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I did get a new bracket and bushings for the tensioner pulley,, in case it is worn or bent,, looks ok ,,,, this mower ate drive belts soon after being new,,,,, so,, not sure what is going on,,,,

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which means it should have gone back when still under warranty.
I am not familiar with the mower but you need to eyeball all of the pulleys.
They should all be at the same height and all be in the same plane
The usual culprit is the tensioning arm pulley .
However if one of the drives is not in place properly or the frame is cracked that will also roll a belt.

Generally it will be on the exit side of the engine pulley where the belt is slack.
A common problem is running the tensioner on the wrong side of the belt.
If the tension pulley is flat then it has to push on the back of the belt
If it is a V pulley it has to pull on the inside of the belt.

The actual belt run is in your owners handbook which if you have lost it can be viewed in sections & downloaded in sections from the JD web page.
Also find the transmission section in the parts list and print out the belt run diagram.

Other than that wail for Will to pick up on this thread to see if there is a know problem specific to this mower.

D

Deleted member 97405

Which means it should have gone back when still under warranty.
I am not familiar with the mower but you need to eyeball all of the pulleys.
They should all be at the same height and all be in the same plane
The usual culprit is the tensioning arm pulley .
However if one of the drives is not in place properly or the frame is cracked that will also roll a belt.

Generally it will be on the exit side of the engine pulley where the belt is slack.
A common problem is running the tensioner on the wrong side of the belt.
If the tension pulley is flat then it has to push on the back of the belt
If it is a V pulley it has to pull on the inside of the belt.

The actual belt run is in your owners handbook which if you have lost it can be viewed in sections & downloaded in sections from the JD web page.
Also find the transmission section in the parts list and print out the belt run diagram.

Other than that wail for Will to pick up on this thread to see if there is a know problem specific to this mower.

bertsmobile1, thanks for the plug-in.
I have been working at our display at the local fair this week and have not been responding as quick as normal.
After Saturday, I should be back to a regular schedule!

I have found a bulletin that addresses this issue for machines BELOW serial 130,000.
There is an updated tensioner bracket, as well as checking on a belt guide.
**On the second page, it gives a different part number of the belt to use as well.**
If your machine is HIGHER than 130,000, the new belt number on page 2 should help fix the problem as well.
Let me know how you make out!
-Will

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Blue79

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a z665 that has a serial number higher than 130000, but I am having this same issue. I have changed pulleys, and the belt. It rolls the belt of randomly. Does anyone have further advice?

Sct20211

Forum Newbie
Threads
bertsmobile1, thanks for the plug-in.
I have been working at our display at the local fair this week and have not been responding as quick as normal.
After Saturday, I should be back to a regular schedule!

I have found a bulletin that addresses this issue for machines BELOW serial 130,000.
There is an updated tensioner bracket, as well as checking on a belt guide.
**On the second page, it gives a different part number of the belt to use as well.**
If your machine is HIGHER than 130,000, the new belt number on page 2 should help fix the problem as well.
Let me know how you make out!
-Will

View attachment 45671

View attachment 45672
I am having problems with the z665 drive belt. I have searched everywhere for the bulletin you mentioned. Is there anyway possible for you to provide a clear pic of what you posted I can Serb it clearly in the post. Would be so great relieved to be able to update tensioner arm and belt so that I can get this fixed. Thanks

Sct20211

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having problems with the z665 drive belt. I have searched everywhere for the bulletin you mentioned. Is there anyway possible for you to provide a clear pic of what you posted I can Serb it clearly in the post. Would be so great relieved to be able to update tensioner arm and belt so that I can get this fixed. Thanks
Thanks so so much Will1988 for reposting the link to the fix for the Z665 update on the tensioner arm and belt. This was perfect for getting my mower repaired. Shocked that you responded so fast, messed up my login to this forum or would have thanked you earlier. Again, thanks!!!!!