Z425 trouble shoot not cranking

connieb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello I have a z425 was running fine, shut it off and when I came back to finish it won't start. Nothing when you turn the key, doesn't turn over. It will start if I jump to the starter just fine. No power to the solenoid via purple wire, no power to left, right or parking brake switches. There is power to seat switch, hour meter and pto (it clicks when I pull it on). Changed relay, replaced ignition switch, checked wiring and can't see a break. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Ordered a pto switch

D

Deleted member 97405

My initial thought is that it thinks the PTO is on (bad switch) or one of your control stick or brake switches aren't working. That's pretty much all that is in the starting circuit, I believe, but I don't have a schematic in front of me. I'm just going from memory.

connieb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have PTO switch ordered, will get some new safety switches also and see if one of those are the culprit. Thanks so much for the reply!
Connie

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Question. What is the mower's serial number?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most times ( but not always ) all of the safety switches are ground switches as the kill circuit is a ground circuit.
I strongly suggest you buy the Technical Manual for your mower from JD it is worth 10 times what you pay for it which is just a couple of charge out hours for a mower tech.
I use short jumpers to bypass the individual switches at their plugs to do these diagnosis .
Start by jumping the B & S terminals on the key switch .
That way when the broken bit is found the engine will suddenly start to crank
If no joy with the switches jumped then use longer ones to go from plug to plug which will isolate a broken wire

connieb

Forum Newbie
Threads
serial number 103162

Just downloaded the tech manual, thanks it has everything!
Thanks for the suggestions, sounds like a plan!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Since you already download the TM then you already know that both lap bar switches are part of the starter circuit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is only a couple of different wiring systems.
basically those with no relays or modules which are really easy and those with relays & modules
Modules almost universally switch ground connections
Relays are usually NO so you pull the relay out & jump the terminals.
You learn these techniques when you are presented with mowers that you do not have wiring diagrams for .
Reading numbers from meters is a lot more difficult to do ( and confusing ) than listening for the solenoid to close & the engine crank >
And in the long run all you want to happen is the engine to turn & start so you can cut the grass.

Enjoy your manual
It is a big read but you will be an expert by the time you finish
Also note that JD have a habit of changing the wiring more often than I change undies so make sure you use the one for your actual serial number .

And please come back & let us know how you went and in particular how easy it was to locate the problem.
That becomes valuable for others who read this post in the future.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here is the simplied cranking portion of the wiring.
1660822916558.png

connieb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks You. That lets me know I am looking at the right schematic. I will get jumper wires today and try that route. I did test all the safety switches, according to the manual, and all test correctly.