Z254 transmission slow for first minute

SomeLawnGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a Z254 zero turn mower that has a fun problem. When I initially start it the unit barely moves, but after about 30-60 seconds of trying to drive, turn, and go backwards, it seems to operate normally. If I turn it off and let it sit for 10 minutes the problem starts over.

I'm afraid that there is air in the transmission. Alternatively, would an old drive belt cause this problem? I've never serviced the transmission on this and I have about 120 hours (?) on it over about 5 years.

Thanks for helping out! I'm trying to save a few hundred bucks and fix it myself but if I need to take it in, well, so be it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Drive belt slipping could be causing issues, slipping until it gets warm and sticky. Also could be low on oil and getting air in the system.

SomeLawnGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply! I feel that your description of it slipping until it gets warm is probably accurate. The transmission on this unit is sealed so lets hope its not that.

Thank you!

Born2Mow

Threads
AND... the longer they slip, the harder the burned fiction surfaces get... which makes them slip even more. Pretty soon the squalling will start and there won't be any more doubt. Buy the OEM belts, not something off Amazon.