Z225 shuts off when parking brake released (seat switch already bypassed)

etrautman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Z225 shuts off when parking brake released (seat switch already bypassed)
I have a John Deere Z225 that I am having issues with, that I have been unable to resolve. The mower starts up fine, but when the parking brake is released the it shuts off. The seat shut off switch has already been bypassed. (It failed years ago and I have had it bypassed since then). I replaced the battery as it was not holding a charge and also had to replace the starter solenoid (it stopped working while I have been trying to repair it). Fuses are all good, ground is fine, and all the wiring seems to be fine. At the end of last mowing season I do remember that at times this same thing would happen, but if I adjusted the choke a little bit it would be fine (I have no idea why that worked). I have a multimeter, but I don't even know what to check, so any advise would be super helpful. I found someone who had recommended bypassing the parking brake switch by starting it and then removing the parking brake safety switch. When I did this I could drive it without any problems, but when I engage the blades it shuts off. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My first piece of advice is to buy the JD technical manual.
IT is worth 3 times what they charge for it which is about what a tech will charge for a single hour's work..
The only reason why the engine cuts out when the parking brake is released is the mower is getting an empty seat signal .
Not sure if the 225 uses a loop wire to do the no operator cut off or a relay .

IT also sounds like you have a charging problem
So buy the book and do the maintrnamce service due on your mower.

etrautman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much for everyones help. I downloaded the technical manual, and it has been really helpful so far. Tomorrow when I will check out some items based on what I read in the tech manual. I will let you know if I get stuck and need assistance.

etrautman

Forum Newbie
Threads
The problem ended up being the key switch. It was not sending power down the auxiliary wire to the interlock relay causing the power to shut off when the parking brake was released. I could not have done it without the tech manual.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad you got it sorted
And yes that manual is worth its weight in gold
You will become the resident Z 225 expert in no time flat.
While we would have eventually gotten you there, going through the test proceedures in the manual, in the order prescribed is the fasted way to getting backon the grass.
Happy mowing
Thanks for the follow up.