Z 254 wont make it 30ft before shutting off

Lake Wylie Hardscapes

Forum Newbie
Threads
The zero turn mower will start and run just fine sitting still... I head on out and the mower is good for about 30-60 feet before it starts to shut down.. I can yank the handles back and throw then right handle out and the engine comes back to life, if I do the same with the left handle it will die. Only then right handle thrown out to the side will make the engine come back to life... If I engage the blades it will only make it about 20 feet or less before it starts to quit again and again only the the right handle thrown into the park position will make it come back to life..

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
How old is the fuel filter?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Lake Wylie Hardscapes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure about fuel filter, I'll change that.. Under side of mower deck is pretty par for the course, just usual buildup but I'll pressure wash it off..

Lake Wylie Hardscapes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Clean engine?? Like run seafoam through it or pull the carb and all that??

Lake Wylie Hardscapes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Still doesn't answer my question as to why the engine will come back to life in the middle of a heart attack when I throw the right are out to the park position..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The control levers are connected to the parking brake so you can't drive off wit the brakes on
The control levers are connected to the seat switch so if you fall off the mower stops
the seat switch is connected to the PTO switch so the blades turn off before your hand gets deep enough into the deck to get chopped off .
So it sounds like a wiring switch problem.
Doing as per Stars suggestion will confirm if you have an engine problem or a mower problem and that is 1/2 the diagnosis done .

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure about fuel filter, I'll change that.. Under side of mower deck is pretty par for the course, just usual buildup but I'll pressure wash it off..
I wouldn't pressure wash the deck. That has nothing to do with your problem and you might get water past the spindle seals.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Clean engine?? Like run seafoam through it or pull the carb and all that??
No, no need, just external, I prefer using a shop vac. I use silicone dielectric grease at all electrical connections when I perform a major service on mower.