YTH24V48 blades not engaging

KenofShelby

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just replaced the blades on my YTH24V48 and they jammed,,, one was a tad too long and had to be ground down….Now the blades won’t engage. I pull the knob to engage them, I hear a click but no action. I push the knob back in a click, and that’s it. the belt is free and clear. the click seems to come from under the engine??/

jls6797

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the belt to make sure everything is in line first.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The loud click is the PTO clutch engaging.
So if the pulley is turning then either the belt is not tight , fallen off a pulley or the spindles are jambed

KenofShelby

Forum Newbie
Threads
The loud click is the PTO clutch engaging.
So if the pulley is turning then either the belt is not tight , fallen off a pulley or the spindles are jambed
Thank you all good things to check, will do tomorrow

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
why would one jam and be a tad too long did you line up the star pattern on the blades with the star pattern on the spindle shaft?

KenofShelby

Forum Newbie
Threads
why would one jam and be a tad too long did you line up the star pattern on the blades with the star pattern on the spindle shaft?
It was only two corners of the blade that touched,,, after that I ground down those corners and the blades rotated fine, by hand..However, when I pull the knob, the blades don’t engage now. something must have broke when they jammed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does the belt turn ?
Do the blades spin freely when the belt is off ?
Do you have the pulley covers on ?
If so has the belt jumped off one of the pulleys ?
Is the belt tight ?
Did the striking blades cause the tension arm pulley to jump off it's anchor point ?
Is the PTO pulley actually turning when the PTO is engaged ?

Joed756

Threads
I think when the blade hit each other you broke a spindle shaft key, check the keys on the spindle and all of the pulleys.