YTH24K48 Mandrel Assembly Part Question

ecac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
My Mandrel assembly broke and I had to replace a new one. The one I ordered looks exactly like original except the top seems a bit different. Wondering if this is normal? The one on the right is the new one.

PXL_20201023_140341623.jpg

deminin

Threads
I've replaced a couple of mandrels in my Husq, and there are minor differences between the old and new. In your case, all you need to do is fit a grease zerk into the upper threaded shaft, and then Carefully install the "self threading" bolts, which should be included with the new mandrel, when you place the new mandrel into the deck.
The outer mandrels are fairly easy, but the middle one can be a bit frustrating unless you remove the deck. Carefully inspect the drive pulley that mounts on the top, and if it shows any signs of damage, or excess wear, you might want to replace it also.

Last edited:

ecac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, is that "grease zerk" necessary for this to run? If so should it have come with one? Thanks.

deminin

Threads
Hi, is that "grease zerk" necessary for this to run? If so should it have come with one? Thanks.

Absolutely!! Without filling the mandrel with grease, it probably wouldn't last long. I grease mine 2 or 3 times every year. If your "supplier" didn't include a zerk, you should be able to remove the zerk from the old mandrel and reuse it....or go to a local hardware store and buy a new one....probably not much more than $1. I can't tell, from the picture, if the new mandrel has the grease fitting "hole" already threaded...if so, take the new mandrel to the store and find a zerk that fits. If Not threaded, many new zerks are "self threading"....look for threads that are "narrower" at the base.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
is the dimple in the top of the new mandrel actually drilled or is just a slight depression. Spindles were made with and without grease zerks but both used sealed bearings so it doesn't really matter if you grease them or not, and in some cases i have seen the bearings are pressed tight enough that you can damage the bearings just by trying to grease them because it pressurizes the spindle and blows the seals just from the pressure and not from the actual grease.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most all of the new spindles have bearings that are sealed on both sides so adding a zerk is useless. I have seen bearings in spindles pushed out from pumping grease in with sealed bearings.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is two versions of this spindle. One of grease-able and the other is not. The new one you have is the non grease-able.

Deminin is wrong that all you have to do is add the Zerk as the spindle shaft is non drilled for greasing. Nor will the bearings have the inner seals removed.

Non Grease-able is PN 587253301 and the Grease-able version is PN 587820301. Both are the same retail price. But most vendors only want to stock the non grease-able style so they have less inventory to keep track of.

deminin

Threads
My Bad! I didn't know that there are now "sealed" mandrills that are already filled with grease, and no longer require a zerk. If there is just a slight "depression" at the top of the shaft, you should be good to go. I learned something new today.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
My Bad! I didn't know that there are now "sealed" mandrills that are already filled with grease, and no longer require a zerk. If there is just a slight "depression" at the top of the shaft, you should be good to go. I learned something new today.
Only the bearings are greased on the non-grease-able units.

ecac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you everyone. Brought this to a local repair shop and they confirmed this as well! Appreciate the quick help!