Your most unorganized tool drawer

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Little by little, each drawer is getting a little more in shape. Needle nose in one place, vice grips and channel locks in another. Philips head screw drivers on one side. Flat heads on another.

But there's one drawer that will never get organized.

The ELECTRICAL drawer. wire pliers, and the box(s) of connectors are easy. The briggs and kohler wiring connections, with enough wire left on them to splice if I need to. The lengths of wire coming out all the test lights, and soldering irons, not to mention all the wires from the headlight harnesses. Mixed in with the other electrical crap in that drawer, makes it impossible, for me, to organize.
And that's the only drawer that I can't organize.

What's yours?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Electrical things including wire strippers heat gun & shrink tube all live in a tool box, a big cantilevered one I got for $ 10 full of old unchromed tools at a trash & treasure sale .
I play with motorcycles so go to a lot of these & always pick up old tool boxes for this reason.
Sockets all go on colour coded rails , metric/ blue US/red UK/black and they hang off bolts or nails all over the place but being colour coded I can locate the one I need form anywhere.
Screwdrivers are all in racks , all over the place but there would be better than 100 of them due to the afore mentioned tool box purchase and after a while the right driver ends up where you use it most .

I just about wet my pants surprssing laughter when some one takes me into their garage to show me their $ 5000 , 2000 piese rolling tool chest full of plastic & foam packing and no useful tools

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good topic.

My most un-organized drawer would be the very bottom one, where I keep numerous motorcycles baffles, tid bits, + a wide variety of rubber hoses. lots of odd ball stuff, I just throw in there.
But many is the time I have found just what I needed from there.

And Bert- I also paint my metric stuff Blue, & SAE orange. Just makes things easier for me.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good topic.

My most un-organized drawer would be the very bottom one, where I keep numerous motorcycles baffles, tid bits, + a wide variety of rubber hoses. lots of odd ball stuff, I just throw in there.

And Bert- I also paint my metric stuff Blue, & SAE orange. Just makes things easier for me.

So that proves what I have long thought metrification really is a Democrat plot :devilish:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good topic.

I forgot about my bottom drawer. But after looking at it, my electrical drawer is still way more messy.

Lawn Addict
Threads
So that proves what I have long thought metrification really is a Democrat plot :devilish:

Hadn't thought about it that way, but you may be on to something there.... ?

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Having used both systems (depending on whether I'm working in Canada or the US) throughout my career, I was so amazed to find how easy the metric system is. The flaw detectors I used were international. With flip of the switch, it converted from English to Metric. No fractions to deal with is the first and best reason to go metric. I fought it, but I was convinced by practical demonstration and working with the system.
And since the reality of Covid is upon us, Democrat Bernie Sanders sounds like a prophet now that the flaws in our current medical system, 'The Best in the World' are being laid bare.
Let's discuss how the rich are getting tests and help, but the middle class and poor? Off to the graveyard. I assume you are among the latter two groups I mentioned.
And with that I will cease, unless someone wants to bring up politics again.
There are PLENTY of places to discuss politics on the internet.
Go somewhere else to drivel about politics.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it was a Democratic plot, then one would be blue and the other red, not orange. When you ask which drawer, I have to ask which tool box. I have 6 at this time. One mechanic’s box at home and one at the shop. One dedicated to each of these, plumbing, electrical, woodworking. A bucket boss and travel mechanical box for service calls and finally one catch all box which will have supply’s and odd tools. This does not include tools hanging on two walls covered with pegboard in the garage. Don’t even ask about how many sets of metric or SAE wrenches drives, or sockets I have. I do know that I have sockets from 5mm to 2 1\4”. I would like to know what is the oldest working tool you have in your tool box. I have a SAE micrometer, which looks like a monkey wrench, research as about 1930.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oldest? WOW, you got us all bear that micrometer. I know what you're talking about though. One of my old machine shop bosses had one on his wall.
My oldest, I couldn't tell you. My ole man worked for International back in the 70's. I'm sure he bought both new and used.

I was just wondering, which of my kids I should leave these tools too. Neither of them like working on stuff at their ages now (mid 20's). My youngest is a welder and seldom needs a set of anything. Except for his welding stuff.